3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies about that, I thought they shared the same motor and turbo combination.. Just de tuned haha :p

Theres a few other differences to, different ecu, injectors, head, flywheel, clutch, air intake and exhaust setup.

someone correct me though if I am wrong.

there no EGR sensor. there is a position sensor so it knows if the valve is stuck or not.
egr flow is determined via MAF sensor. drop in air flow indicates egr is flowing.

I sorta thought that was the same thing, since the only thing going through the pipe is exhaust gas - but let's not split hairs. There's a sensor that needs defeating!

Been reading a lot about the EGR mods, and the apparent benefits. Are there any long term (e.g. 50-100,000km) modders that can give some feedback as to if there are any long term problems?

I have seen in some other places where they say just put the blanking plate in, but dont mention changing the hoses over. What happens if you dont change the hoses over?

simply put, lack of effective compression and more work due to restricted intake.

butterfly restricts intake to lower intake pressure so more egr can come in which balances out the pressure. eg butterfly blocks off 20% but egr replaces that 20%. so you still get 100% cylinder fill and 100% effective compression.
block off egr only and the butterfly still blocks 20% of the flow. so you get 80% cylinder full and 80% effective compression. (very roughly put). plus you have pumping looses due to the restriction.

if you have a worn engine it can cause compression to be low enough to run badly or blow white smoke due to poor ignition.

HI all new to the Nav forum, has any1 done this mod to a new 2012 D40 ST 2.5?? we are in the process of buying 1, i know the egr mod has been around for a few years now, just wondering how a new car would handle these mods?

itll screw with ya waranty if you block it on a new car. if the car throws a fault nissan will see it on a scan tool. :sorry3:

Just did it on my 3.0, was shitting bricks when one of those little black hoses broke in half, was unsure whether to proceed and hope for the best or try to fix it with some sort of tape and revert it to stock so I could drive and get more hose, ended up just doing it, revs a bit better but still pretty slow.

hey i have been reading all these different posts about the egr block off, does anyone have any better pics of the vacuum hoses after they've blocked the egr, i cant quite understand them in the first page, basically, do i just disconnect the egr solenoid out of the vacuum line circuit?

basically your disconnecting the egr solenoid BUT your joining the shutoff solenoid and egr lines together.

If my D22 has a Chipit chip with EGT Controller, will doing the EGR Mod, Butterfly and Swirl mod effect the chipit/egt controller?

I want to be sure before i do make these alterations.
Cheers

Last edited:
Gday, let me know if i have this right please, the egr part of the mod is the plate, the butterfly part of the mod is rerouting the hoses and the swirl part of mod is unplugging or ball bearing the swirl valve? also ive got some 2.5mm aluminium plate, will that be okay for the blocking plate at the inlet manifold? Thanks in advance.

Definitely would not be using aluminium as a blanking plate. It melts at about 660 degC and exhaust gases can reach that temperature no problems if you are heavy on the right pedal.

thanks mate I'll get some stainless then will1.6 mm be thick enough and am I on the right thinking of what each mod is?

Latest posts

Back