3.0L EGR definitive how to guide

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

180%JOE

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
After reading all the super threads on the EGR mods I have decided to complete a how to guide for those people who want to do this mod but still need a little help. This is only for the 3.0L ZD30 D22 navara. For this mod I only blanked off the top inlet manifold (You could also block the exhaust as well) Below is a reference picture for the names of the solenoids that I got from the super threads.

ZD30valves.jpg

Time needed: 1 hour (I’m being generous here)

Tools needed:
Long flat screwdriver
Socket set
12mm spanner
Angle grinder + cutting disc, flap sanding disc
Drill + bits

Parts:
3mm or similar steel/aluminum plate
Gasket goo

Step 1:
First we need to undo the two 12mm bolts that are holding the top of the Egr pipe to get out the gasket. They are super tight, be careful not to strip the heads. I used a breaker bar for more leverage to crack the bolts first. This gasket will be used as a template for the blanking plate.

egr001.jpg

Step 2:
I traced around the gasket on my plate and cut it out by placing it in a vice and using the grinder. After cutting I drilled the two holes using a 21/64th bit. I then cleaned up the plate using a flap disc.

egr003.jpg

egr006.jpg

Last edited:
Step 3:
Using gasket goo, apply to both sides of the blanking plate and slide it back into the inlet manifold. Tighten the bolts up again. The plate is now complete and the EGR pipe is now blocked. (remember you could also do this for the exhaust side of the pipe but I didn’t bother)

egr007.jpg

Step 4:
Next it is time to perform the butterfly and swirl control mods. Start by disconnecting the three plugs and moving them out of the way to access the hose lines. (This is done by simultaneously depressing a clip on the top of the harness and pulling away)

egr008.jpg

Step 5:
I methodically started with the bottom hoses first. So disconnect the bottom hoses on the shutoff and egr solenoids (leave the swirl control valve alone). They may be a bit hard to get off so I used the flat screwdriver to pry all the hoses off. (Hot water may also help)

egr009.jpg

Step 6:
Remove the longer hose that was attached to the bottom of the egr solenoid and reconnect to the first T-piece of the swirl valve solenoid as in the picture.

egr011.jpg

Last edited:
Step 7:
Next unplug the top hose of the Egr solenoid. Take a small hose to loop the two outlets on the Egr solenoid for cosmetics.

egr012.jpg

Step 8:
Reuse the T-piece and attach it to the top hose that was connected to the Egr solenoid.

egr013.jpg

Step 9:
Unplug the top hose on the shutoff solenoid and connect this hose to the T-piece as well. Finally connect the T-piece back to the top nipple of the shutoff solenoid. Reconnect the egr and shutoff solenoid wires (Do not reconnect the swirl valve control solenoid) and you are now finished. Go for a test drive to make sure there are no leaks.

egr014.jpg

egr015.jpg

(This picture is wrong, the orange harness or swirl solenoid should be disconnected and the black or Egr solenoid should be plugged in lol)

Enjoy.

Last edited:
If anyone has anything to add or suggest feel free to post away. I hope people find this informative.

Cheers mate im looking at doing the egr very soon and i rekon this will help a fair bit, great info and pics

Thanks for the post mate, will help out for sure.

Im with Navvic though. I have read through most of the other threads to do this mod and i was under the impression you didnt need to remove and solenoids plug, only swap the tubes around?

Can somebode provide a link straight to this part of the mod with the reason why it is needed, or if this is needed at all. Lucky i seen this post if it was needed because i wasnt going to do it.

Cheers

Pete

this is a bit of an odd/dumb question but my mate pointed it out to me, will I need to tell the insurance fellas about this mod (like I would for other mods)?

Latest posts

Back