3" Exhaust hitting firewall

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bax84

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got a 3" exhaust fitted up, turbo back. And I've gotten rid of most of the rubbing and knocks, but it seems to be grinding pretty solidly against the firewall.

What are my options? I was going to wedge something down between the firewall and the dump but I don't think it'll really fix the issue. Take the dump off and bash at it with a hammer? Or do I try and track down some silicone and jam it in there?

I can rock the motor forward enough to open up a gap to get a piece of silicon in there. I'm just not sure how great of an idea it is.

Thoughts?

Owch - That's a lot of strain on those turbo/dump pipe studs ! what system did you use? Does the pipe after the dump pipe pick up the original cat mount from the original exhaust? If it doesn't it a lot of weight on the turbo studs so I'd remove and hit the fire wall with a rubber mallet !

Can you take it to where you got the exhaust from? It shouldn't happen really- strange, it must be a huuuge dump pipe ! mine has a 3'' and I can get the original "heat shield" back on! the dump did rub slightly but I hammered and dollied it into place.. cheers vic

It's an ebay special, but to be honest I don't think I had that much room in there prior to fitting the new dump.

It's a 3" system from DEA performance on ebay. Fits fine apart from this. Really slack for taking it off obviously but I think if that's my only option it'll just have to happen. There's probably about a 2mm gap there at the moment, which obviously rubs like mad when the car is running.

I also have a 3" system from DEA performance on my D40 (I actually took the car to them for the install) I do have a bit of a rattle occasionally from one of the pickups being too long and hitting the rear suspension.

I haven't noticed any hitting the firewall though, definitely lay into the firewall otherwise something expensive will end up broken. Not a bad Idea to check that the rest of the system is hanging properly and maby check the engine mount rubbers is not causing the engine to sag a bit. Wedging in a bit of silicone will stop an annoying noise but it will cause issues in the not too distant future.

I've rang a few places around town and they're all quoting 85/hr to look at it, I've sent DEA an email asking them if they've had any troubles with fitment before and what they suggest.

Engine mounts should be okay but they're an easy enough fix I guess. It's not that much of a rub, I put on a steel plate just as a temporary mount but it has shifted already, so I'm contemplating giving it a light bash with a hammer as well as the mounts.

What year is it? I have an xforce on my 2010 and the dump pipe is very close to the firewall. The thai built ones seem to have the motor or turbo a fair bit further back in the engine bay than the jap built ones. From memory the early jap yd25s had a fair bit more room between the dump pipe and the firewall... some convincing with a hammer is probably the only resolution you are going to get...

2005 with the zd30.

The factory dump is probably only about an inch or so wide where as the 3" is well, obviously 3" + enough for the radius of the bend.

Oh yeah. Did you fit it yourself or pay a workshop to fit it? Shouldn't be too hard to get the dump pipe back off if it's only just been fitted and try and make some more room...

I did it, but I'm a bit lazy to take it back off again. I'm putting up with it for now but if I'll give it a solid bash with some pipe on friday and hope that gives me all I need. Otherwise I'll go to plan b which will be getting an exhaust shop to doctor it up slightly.

Leadchucka I'm lazy. Left the dump pipe on. Put the crowbar (6 foot bar) on the wall behind where it was hitting and gave it a few taps.

Latest posts

Back