3" or 2 3/4" Exhaust for St-R, what is best and why?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwited

Reaction score
Hello

I am currently making up my mind which exhaust to chuck on my 2.5 ST-R, I was advised that the 3" is too big, causes the turbo to over spool - whatever that is -that 2 & 3/4" is perfect for 2.5 four cylinder.

Can anyone shed light on this? I am keen to get several second opinions!

Regards

Ted

Can't overboost unless the wastegate gets stuck open, which can happen but doesn't very often. The just is still out in which size is "the best" but apparently some models of yd25 can't fit any bigger than a 2-3/4" dump pipe anyway

I have been told that 3" is too big for my 3ltr also. They recon you still need a bit of back pressure, so I am in two frames of mind also of what size to go for. For the records I have been advised to use a cast dump pipe because the steel ones don't last very long before they crack!!

I have the 2,3/4 . No probs ! I have had people say that your front shaft will foul with the 3 inch . When 4 wheeling .

What Farmer Joe said,you still need a bit of back pressure,so 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 is perfect.

I've got a 2 1/2 inch sports system on mine. Sounds sweet, still have backpressure. And it's got a nice note. And 2 3/4 would be the biggest I would go (personally) Unless you were chasing A more beefier sound. G

Turbos dont need back pressure because the turbo dosent need to spin backwards. The Bigger you go the lourder you go. Thats about it.

original thread starter using the search function is your friend..otherwise this thread will be filled with nothing more than copied opinions once again

On my 3.0L i have a 3" mandrel bent turbo back with a highflow muffler, awesome note, great response, if you want an expert opinion, talk to a 'few' exhaust shops and see what they think.

Why go 2.5? It has one on there...

Why pay the huge price of the brand name 2 3/4"

3" works just as well it sounds tough and more often then not allot cheaper!!!!

The right amount of back pressure on a turbo exhaust is none, so bigger is better, but 2.5" is as big as necessary on these low output engines. Most important thing is to have a nice dump pipe, high flow (or no) cat, and straight through (or no) muffler.

3" no mufflers. I'm currently running a "housing commission cat back", eg nothing at all after the dump/cat pipe, and my snorkel is louder!

I'm running a 3inch system, and a 3inch dump pipe. It was a pig of a thing to mark and install, its got a nice sound and better spool (seat of yours pants mind you). I went 3inch cos I could buy it thru work dirt cheap.

And I've been 4wd with in, and nothing hits it.

have a look at the exhausts on a top fuel dragster . i dont think there would much back pressure what ever that is there.

Latest posts

Back