33x12.5 R15 vs 285-75 R16

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben85

Reaction score
Going to be up for new muddies soon.

Will be going for 33s, or even a slight possibly 35s.

Looking for opinions on positives and negatives for 33x12.5 R15 vs 285-75 R16 tyre sizes for the d22.

Is there anyone here running 33x12.5 R15's?

I can't compare as I've only had 285/75/16 but I recon if I went 33x12.5 I wood have trouble with scrubbing with the wider rubber. If I were you id get 33x12.5x15 because they are cheaper then 285/75/16. I just didn't want to get new rims other wise I wood of

You will need bigger off set rims to get the 15" to fit over the brakes. And as well as 33"s being illegal on a D22, fitting smaller than factory diameter wheels also makes the car un roadworthy from what I have heard.

bit of scrubbing will be sorted with the grinder.

i dont think there's that much difference in price for the tyres now days, i've seen 15" rims for $75 and 16" $125 at the same place.

will be looking at 0 offset if i go 16". and trying to stick to 0 on 15s if they fit, if not maybe -13. bit wider wheel track will be good. will get flare extensions.

Hey Ben,

I've been through all this recently so can tell you what works and what doesn't...

First rims/tyres I tried were 33's on 15x8's with -22 (I think) offset. Had big problems with scrubbing and no amount of grinding/bashing of the wheel arch was going to fix it.

When i had the 33's I sat a 285/75/16 tyre next to them, they were noticably bigger. So there was no way they would fit.

So then I went to 265/75/16's on 16x8 0 offset. No scrubbing on the front, but had scrubbing on the back when flexed up. This could easily have been fixed though but cutting some plastic.

When the 265's were due for replacement I thought I'd re-visit the 15" option. I bought a set of new steelies in 15x8 0 offset as I thought they would fit, but they hit on the front calipers. They needed about 20mm negative offset to clear. But that would be no good as I'd be back to where I started with the scrubbing issues.

I evetually found some 15x8 alloy rims with 0 offset that fit nicely over the calipers. The reason they fit and not the steelies is because the alloys don't have the big dip in the centre of the rim. So i'm now running 33x12.5r15's with no dramas. Have also done a body lift since originally trying 33's which has helped.

Hope this saves you some trouble. I can't imagine 35's will fit without scrubbing unless you had some serious lift.

Hey Ben,
I'm currently looking at goin with a 285-75-R16. I have the 265/75/R16 and I wanna go bigger and with a nice set of mickey Thompson MTZ, the price difference between the 2 sizes is minimal so I'm leaning towards the 285/75/R16.

I evetually found some 15x8 alloy rims with 0 offset that fit nicely over the calipers. The reason they fit and not the steelies is because the alloys don't have the big dip in the centre of the rim. So i'm now running 33x12.5r15's with no dramas. Have also done a body lift since originally trying 33's which has helped.

Can you post up a couple of pics?

Just got 5 inches under the d22 now. Sits so much higher!!
And I just sold my 265/75/16's so am now looking to put something much bigger on.
I want 12.5 wide but not sure whether to go 33's, 34's or 35's. Will probably try and fit them on a 15 inch rim. With some kind of negative offset.
Any recommendations??

Ive got a set of ROH steel wheels. 0 offset 15x7inch and they fit . . . JUST. only have 31x10.5 on now but next tires will be 33' or 35'

looks good!
i thought they would stick out a bit wider and look a bit bigger than they do but they fit pretty neat!

are they your dogs?

Cheers. Yeah I didn't want them sticking out past the guards too much, but they stick out a little still. I need more lift I reckon lol.

Yeah man they're my muts.

this has helpt me alot also thx .i am goin to bigger rubber and i wanted 33's or 285/75/16so 2" body and a min of 2" Suspention lift is a must i take it .how does the ratio feel like its handling the big rubber and do you feel or found a lot of axle or hub or diff breakages.have you lowered your ratio's at all ?

I run 285/75/16 on gu patrol rims that have a 0 offset fits fine no scrubbing only thing i had to do was remove bit of my side step cause of the amount of flex i have it was tearing it away

Got a few pics in my garage need to get to a computer to upload some more i have 2 " shackles 2" body custom rear leaf pack

Got a few pics in my garage need to get to a computer to upload some more i have 2 " shackles 2" body custom rear leaf pack

So no lift in the front?
I would have thought that the front would have caused more trouble than the back with rubbing.

Latest posts

Back