3L D22 problem driving along and just shuts down

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeynav

Reaction score
Hi new to this forum and also first time nav owner.. ive had my 04 d22 for about 2 months and in that time it has done this 3 times. The first time when the missus was driving in 4th upa long hill the car just pretty much turned off and she had to eas it over onto the side of theroad turned the ignition off, then started ot again and ran normal. Put it in at the mechanics to see if any fualt codes came up, but he didnt find any.. then a couple of weeks later i was pulling out of a driveway up a hill and it just wouldnt go up the hill, the car was stillrunning but had no balls after a couple of goes dumping the clutch away she went? Wierd.. then over new years i was away siting on 100 in 5th and it just turned itself off again, iwas goin down gears and everything and it was just rolling along not running, then i pulled over turned ignition off waited a few moments, started it and away it went..
I dont no if this is a seperate problem altogether or if they are connected but sometimes the idle plays up and gets high about 12-1300rpm then if you give it a big rev it sometimes drops back to normal...
So whats up with my nav? Its only done 90,000ks

Any ideas on what it is will be much appreciated.
Cheers

Sorry I can't help you out but the other day going up a hill in 5th doing 100clicks, mine did the same thing. As I was pulling over it came good again, hasn't done it since. I am keen to find out as well what other people say.

The high idle is usually the Throttle Position Sensor on the accelerator pedal being out of whack, which may be causing your other problems.

Leave it idle for 10 minutes as this resets the TPS and see if that fixes your problems.
Do a search its been brought up before.

Cheers for the replies i will reset the idle and see if it does anything.. i really wanna know what it is because it could be dangerous for example if it did it pulling out of a busy intersection.. anyone else having this problem?

if everything shuts off, ie no warning lights at all, then i would suspect electrical problem. bad battery connections or earths (motor/body).

we did have one that would only idle now and then. i think that was TPS fault.

just randomly stalling can be a few different things from fuel restriction (filter) or air being sucked into fuel, fault in injection pump, egr stuck open etc.

about 5 months ago i was on maroondah hwy heading out of melbourne little bit before lillydale, big long hill, i was crusing downhill at about 80km/h in 4th gear so not to build up too much speed, got towards the bottom and put the foot down and nothing... weird first thought was maybe the clutch had gone, clutch in and out a couple of times bit of right pedal still nothing, that's when i realised the engine wasn't revving with the accelerator down.
so i pulled into a turning lane ingnition off, then started up and went fine.

later that day on my way home, same hill only on the other side. exact same thing happened.

its never happened again since.

not sure what it was, i found it to be quite weird. it was a bit of a confusing situation so i cant recall exacty what happened. i clearly remember both times was heading down hill with no throttle, using the engine as a brake, and i didn't notice the engine had cut out until i put my foot on the accelerator and got no response.

Well all the lights come up like when the ignition is on but cars not running.. and yeh ben sounds like a very similar problem but what the hell is it? I changed the fuel filter after the first time but it did it again i have no idea what it is

Try draining the fuel filter and check for water. My old ZD30 patrol work ute did the same thing and it ended up being water in the fuel but didnt throw any codes. Just had to drain the filter every few weeks and never happened again

Check your crank positioning sensor. It will cause these same problems you are having.

Ahk how do i tell if water is in the fuel filter? And how do i check the crank positioning sensor? I will go over electrical connections when i get a chance.. cheers for the replys, it just seems like such a common problem surely someone would know?

Latest posts

Back