4.8 Ratio on 35 Build plan/ diff swap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawry

Reaction score
Alright im strting to get bored with the 4.625 ratio and 33. Since it can be done, im looking at swapping to 35 at come point.

i dont want my fuel economy to suffer so i would like to switch to 4.88 ratio.
100km/hr= 99-101 (est) GPS km/hr with 4.88 so still relatively stock- around 2750 rpm at 100km/hr.

now the other big issue is the front diff. R180 would more than likely be pretty fragile with 35's. so The plan is to also convert the front to a r200.

Ive read Josh's R180-R200 swap thread and it seams relativity straight forward.. but the issue is that i don't think the r200 come in any higher than 4.625 (currently running) but the c200 does (old d21 or terranos?? ) cant remember which??

Correct me at any time, but from my understanding the c200 center can be swapped into the R200, but my concern is spline count. I will me planning to put a lokka but are the axle (long/short) on the r200 the same spline count as the diff centre of the C200?? Ive looked on 4wd systems but cant find part numbers, if there the same then the spline count should be the same.

as for the rear end- I'm running a H233b 4.625.... do any of the older terranos, d21 ect run an 11 bolt 4.88 ratio h233b centre???

I'm guessing that they will be a open diff (lsd would be great) but if not i'll throw a lokka in the rear as well. Once again did they vary in spline count? i think mine is a 31 spline. (out of a QD32)

its a big job! need to buy three diffs to create 2

Once im finished i will have an entire 4.625 ratio diff set with front lokka for sale if anyone is interested- only 5k old.

cheers matt

i no i can buy them over seas, last diff conversion with upgraded diffs cost me 500. Looking at doing it for around that again, which is possible.
just need to knoe where i can find a

h3233b 11 bolt centre open or lsd in 4.88

and a c200 4.88 which i can swap into a R200 pathfinder or vg33 front diff.

i no i can buy them over seas, last diff conversion with upgraded diffs cost me 500. Looking at doing it for around that again, which is possible.
just need to knoe where i can find a

h3233b 11 bolt centre open or lsd in 4.88

and a c200 4.88 which i can swap into a R200 pathfinder or vg33 front diff.

I have seen with my own eyes a Terrano with 4,88's.
This would give you the H233b 4.88's rear.
It was a turbo diesel (these are usually the 4.6's) but this was a jap model with upgraded interior and fancy shit....so they are out there..

I have my pinion and ring gear setup from the rear of my old d21, which was a c200 and 4.8's. I was keeping this to put in my s13 rear diff to have some mad higher gear ratios for lol's.
These are pretty darn common in the older na d21 diesels.....in fact i think i know a guy with one hes wrecking.....

i was under the understanding there front and rear diff's were cut differently to angle for better meshing depending if they were placed in the front or rear? i thought because of this you has to use a front orientated ring/pinion in the front?
Is this Bs or true?

thanks Unknown

needed to here that info, Ive had a look and the manual TD27 terrano do come out ( not sure if all do) with 4.88 ratio h233b. I hope there a 11 bolt and 31 spline and a LSD as that would be PERFECT.

the problem lies in the front :( I think dave or someone else on here mentioned the r200 and c200 there the same part number but i was worried about the pinion cut (angle) if i just swapped the centre...

If only i knew how to set backlash then i would just buy 4.88 set and bolt them in.

Is there ANY R200 that ran 4.88?

or worst case scenario... i know r180s run 4.88 but a mere 7 inch diff would probably crumble with 35's.

When my mate was wrecking Terranos, it was quite common to get in the Td27T terranos with 4.6 gearing manual and 4.3 gearing Auto.

I have a terrano LSD h233b in my backyard somewhere. im 99.99% sure its the exact same as the d22 h233b, as we were going to bolt it in there and did all the spline counting etc ... but ended up just welding the rear.

option one would be to find the terrano 4.88's and put rear diff center in your car and its front diff in your car....this at least gives you 4:88's all round...
...then you can look into the r200 4:88 front end conversion..
..If you be nice to the car, the 180 front should last a couple of outings.

Im unsure about finding a facrotory r200 with 4:88's..

Your not in perth / wa - are you mate?
I have the c200 4:88's from a rear, a r200 front diff with 4.3 and a 4.6 terrano rear lsd unit in the backyard you could compare...but tbh ive got way to much on ATM to go look myself. (proper look, ie remove front diff cover and compare diff cut angles to the 4.88's)

Last edited:
nar unfortunately i live in QLD at the moment.
Well originally i was going to buy 3 diffs and make two out out of them.
i guess i could buy a 4.88 ring and pinion from 4x4 parts for around 550 posted. plus if i can find a 4.88 h233b center for cheap enough then it wont cost to much.
probably around 150-200 to set diff backlash

its still doable just need to start looking.

35 will require a lot of front guard work :/

Simex make a 35x10.5x16 that works out to be 266.7mm wide. Thats the skinniest 35" i could find. If only you could move the axle forward..........

I no! only need to be a few inchs at the most :(
Im tempted to go a 4.88 set out of say a terrano or d21.
if i can find them i'll just run the r180?? :/

And just save the r200 for later on, I don't push my nav hard enough to destroy the r180 any time soon.
and later down the track go r200 (if i can find a blown out r200 that would be perfect as the crown wheel/pinion with be useless to me)

being a cab chassis the tray will only need a bit of work, as for the front just throw some rubber flares on.

My hypothesis is that a lot of people out there throwing 33,35 of navs don't realize how bad they suffer in gearing off road, better gearing means slower approach/less bouncing/right foot- lockers assist in this theory as well ;)

anyway just need to find the diffs and some time!

Latest posts

Back