550 service and oil intervals?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering the oil for the 550 is pretty much the same as the stuff for DPF fitted vehicles I can't imagine it doesn't meet the specs, but people believe what they want when it comes to oils and what dealerships do and don't do.

If that's the case then it's a dealership issue and one that can be easily proven against them should there be any issues. Personally I can't see any dealership no matter how incompetent putting in the wrong spec'd oil deliberately and I definitely can't see them putting it in as a substitute on a regular basis there is too much risk for them. But as stated people believe what they want and see what they want.

I have service dockets since new and not once was the correct oil used for my 550 . They even print it on list of consumables...how is that for dealer competence.

You cant really have a discussion with a service advisor who has never heard of ACEA C4 (RN 0720) and who is trying to replace your perfectly good brake rotors :) . Needless to say car is not going to them any more.

How has anyone is a position higher than bog roll collector at a dealership not heard or been told about appropriate oils for appropriate cars? It's not like the D40 is the only car to ever use a different grade of oil. There is a wide range of cars and trucks that use ACEA C4 oil and they have been doing it for years. I can understand a dealership wanting to replace brake rotors before they are due because there are plenty of people on these forums willing to believe that no D40 rotors can last more than 40K but not knowing and understanding that different grades of oil must be used in certain vehicles I find impossible to believe because of the range of oils and cars any dealership would see.

Navara 550 is the only car they service that uses C4 oil in the Nissan range ( legacy of Renault V9X) .C4 oil is not commonly found in car part shops , guy behind of counter rang his supplier to ask about my oil and said " customer is after this wanky oil" :)
I am guessing that dealers are not purchasing drums of C4 oil to cater solely for 550.
It is hard to believe but their service advisors ( every time it was a different person) are clueless when it comes anything technical.

From the V9X ESM.

V9X Engine Oil
The absolute minimum standard of Engine
Oil for V9X engines is a 5W 30 ACEA C3
engine oil. Ensure the oil is specifically
designed for Turbo Diesel Engines.

The same oil which is used in the D40 range that have DPF as well as a range of other cars that a dealership may see.

From the V9X ESM.

The same oil which is used in the D40 range that have DPF as well as a range of other cars that a dealership may see.

My owners manual states ACEA C4 5W-30 Low saps for V9X and ACEA B1 , B3 , B4 , B5 for YD25DDTi. Definitely not the same oil.
C3 is an absolute minimum for V9X but recommended spec is C4 which is really a C3 amended to RN0720 ( Renault spec).
It also seems that 550 does not have functional DPF in which case low saps not as important.

Last edited:
The manual Nissan service techs use states C3 and my old mans V9x owners manual also states C3, expecting Nissan dealerships to use C4 when more than one official release put out by the manufacturer states C3 is the minimum is whistling dixie, especially when the majority of them would have C3 stocked for the D40 range.

this is what my manual says.......

no mention of any different specs anywhere

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 165
Despite the fact that most dealerships still aren't going to use anything more than what is listed in their own workshop manuals as the minimum requirement there is almost no difference between C3 and C4 other than C4 must be low SAPS where as C3 can be medium or low SAPS.

Penrite make a C3 oil that is medium SAPS, Nulon make a C3 that is low SAPS, neither can be listed as C4 because of their SAPS level, however the Nulon SAPS level should be lower than the Penrite and closer to the C4 sequence.

The Renault spec doesn't even come into the equation as to which is more suitable, Renault built upon the C4 sequence for their own benefit, their test of course suggests they improved upon things but they didn't change the C4 sequence world wide because of it. The C4 sequence is a standard and that is almost identical to C3 it's main difference is the SAPS level.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's the case then it's a dealership issue and one that can be easily proven against them should there be any issues. Personally I can't see any dealership no matter how incompetent putting in the wrong spec'd oil deliberately and I definitely can't see them putting it in as a substitute on a regular basis there is too much risk for them. But as stated people believe what they want and see what they want.

G'day
My local dealer just did 10,000 km Service on my STX 550. I was charged for "CASTROL LSX90 DIFF" $63.90, Nissan however promotes "only genuine Nissan parts".
It is possible to get Nissan Oil specified for the V6.
I was told by the local dealer that they can use any brand of Oil they choose. I had thought they must use the Nissan brand.

Fixed price servicing

My 550 is only 6 weeks old and the recomended oil change and service intervals are every 10000 kms.Had the first service done a couple of weeks ago and i deceided to get the oil and filter changed at the same time just because i am old fashioned and i think its good insurance.
As the oil they use is a special oil it is very expensive but if you if buy a 550 at least you get fixed price servicing for 6 years and the price of most of the services is about the retail cost of the oil and filter alone.
The bottom line is buy a 550 you wont be dissapointed.

Have a 2011 stx 550 - always check prior to service . I too have fixed price servicing - normally around $210 . My 40 thousand service cost me $1120 , they knocked $200 off after I complained , so just so you know. I love this car ( have previously owned toyota's ( both cruisers and hilux's , jeeps and landrovers ) and am considering buying another 550 . Just waiting to see if anything changes - new model ? Cheers.

Latest posts

Back