A/T tyre advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Issue 167 of 4WD Action has a great A/T tyre test. (As mentioned already above). The Pirelli Scorpions came out top overall, but bloody expensive. Worth a read.

Was budget a big factor in your decision?

From every review i've read into tyres when researching my A/T purchase. Maxiss were the cheap option with the lowest km life span. That may have changed, but from the leg work i did, 9/10 times the extra coin buys you extra km's.

By the sounds of it your doing some work on those tyres and would want the best you can get.

In the 4wd action mag the tyre comparo was a bit of a eye opener the tyre that come out on top was the pirelli scorpion atr which looks like a pretty sedate tyre the new coopers s/t maxx was second yoko geolander a/t-s 3rd .was lookin at the coopers but not sure now as they didnt do well in the breaking .... confused again ?????

I read that tyre review, Was really only trying to make mind up over mickey t,s fc 11 at $315 corner or coopers st maxx at $350 a corner. After reading the holy grail of paid advertisment 4wd action (wanted the camper trailer magazine it came with) the only thing holding me back on the coopers is the braking test they did, But in saying that i think that the coopers are going on probably next week

Hi mate I ran a set of cooper ST 265/75 16 and love them paid $300 each wouldnt use any other tyre. Just a personal choice. Good luck

cheers will look into it a bit more .no one on the goldcoast seems to have any bfs or if they can get them they are asking over $420 a tyre . did the 75s make any differents ?

I was waiting for coopers two new tyres to come out then when I seen the ST maxx I was set on them, then read the review in latest 4wd action mag an was sold.

Getting 5 this week 265/75/16.

Should be a good thing!!

Well i got the Pirelli Scorpion,s put on last week, so far have been impressive on and of road, heaps better that the factory Dunlop,s, and feels better to drive.. i only went up one size from standard,, 265/70 so now i,m within 2 kmph of the speedo being correct and the economy is looking the same at this point, Now i,ll have to go and read this review and see what they say about them

I went with Maxxis as they were one of the cheaper tyres out there whilst still seemed to have a bit of quality about them. It was a tough decision as I knew that I would be subjecting these tyres to some pretty harsh, remote country. I decided I didn't want to be forking out $400 plus a tyre if I get a stake. The opposite side of the fence is by spending the money first I may not get a stake in the first place. I thought i'd start cheaper then work up rather than the other way around. I'll let you guys know how they go. Love the feedback and info available on this forum.

Pirelli Scorpion's LT 265/75/ R16's

G,day folks,

I have got the Pirelli Scorpion's LT 265/75/ R16's on my Navara D40. I have done over 30,000ks including my recent trip to Cape York June/July this year. On the Peninsular Development Road, Bamaga Road and the Old Telegraph track these tyres were outstanding. On the corrugations my mates and I were extremely impressed as they out performed their tyres which were new Cooper SST’s, BFG A/T’s and Mickey Thompson’s MTZ’s.

What we found was when we lowered our tyre pressures to 28 front 30 rears and 30 for our camper trailers and traveling between 70 and 90ks, my mates tyres suffered bad chipping to the tread lugs of there respected tyres brands. We were surprised that the Pirelli’s were undamaged. We further noted that in certain sections of the Development Road especially the tight corners that the Pirelli’s traction ability out performed there tyres. My mates on several occasions’ found themselves drifting and suffering from severe over-steer problems while the Pirelli’s stuck to the loose gravel roads like glue.

Even on the Old Telegraph track crossings, the Pirelli’s performed just as good as those vehicles fitted with mud tyres. On several of the crossings ie; Palm, Mistake and Cannibal Creeks, all the vehicles that we witnessed that day that crossed with us needed to be winched out at the exits. This also included several big Patrols and Land Cruisers fitted with 35inch mud tyres and 5inch lift kits.

Furthermore, we noticed that when we visited towns like Laura and Bamaga the amount of destroyed tyre carcasses at the service stations. These tyres were cut to ribbons by the sharp rocks embedded in the corrugations. What was surprising was the majority of those damaged tyres were mud terrain tyres that had lowered their tyre pressures below 25 PSI.(bad move).

Overall, I never suffered a puncture or damage to any of my tyres on the Cape York trip, however, my friends did.

When I bought my Pirelli’s eighteen months ago from Jax tyres in Coffs Harbour, I paid $285.00 a tyre fitted and balanced. I will defiantly be using Pirelli’s again!

Regards,

RLI
:rock:

Latest posts

Back