ABS Broken What Happens?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
OK, I'm planning on a few solo drives in the next 12 months.

One thing I'm wondering about. If my ABS gets damagaed, cable ripped out for example, what effect will that have on the D40?

Say I'm in the middle of nowhere and the ABS gets damaged. Will I still be able to use 4WD Hi and Low range, will it still drive at 100km/h. I know these trucks are complex, but to what degree??

Thanks.

If its in 4wd it won't drop out I believe.
If the cable is damaged it won't rerun back into 4wd.

At least that's what I found last month when I had a faulty sensor

So how can we get around that? This is what I'm trying to put together, a list of what to do when things break.

Before computers in cars you could use fence wire to fix things that broke, but now if something that is monitored electronically breaks, you can be in all sorts of strife.

If the ABS is damaged you wont be able to select 4LOW, BUT someone mentioned the other day you might be able to trick the system by turning the car off then selecting 4low and start the car, im just not 100% if that works or not, it could be tested by unplugging one of the sensors tho.

i had a front wheel bearing go on my last one and the ABS sensor is connected to it so it got munched, and from the dealer reports it was totally melted they could hardly tell what it was.
This happened while i was doing 120kph on the freeway and at first the only sign i had that something was wrong was that the ABS warning light came on, BUT it didnt stop me from driving or go into limp mode and restrict speed or revs.

When that happened Nath, did you stop the car, turn it off and have a look around, or just keep going???

When that happened Nath, did you stop the car, turn it off and have a look around, or just keep going???

At first i slowed down and lightly applied the brakes to see if i had any, or if it was pulling to one side, but nothing, so i applied them a bit harder and all seemed good.
I then pulled over and as i was doing that i heard an awful racket which at first sounded like a cv munching it self so i just stopped and crawled along to where i could get well clear of the freeway.
I then got nissan to tow it to the closest dealer which happened to be the one i deal with.

from my knowledge
If you snag a cable in the bush,
Hope insurance covers it because they arnt cheap.

Ive heard people putting that black electrical stuff around it to protect it a little more,
but in all honesty if a stick flicked up its going to break!

If your in Need of 4wd when it goes off, try your best to get out.
after that itll drive fine on the black top untill you find a dealer!

It wont solve your problem if it happens but for a little more protection at the diff you could make up something like this to protect the cable at the diff end of things.

cheers, Mick.

Attachments

• IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2498.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 80
It wont solve your problem if it happens but for a little more protection at the diff you could make up something like this to protect the cable at the diff end of things.

cheers, Mick.

I really like these. they look very functional.

Must admit i cant take all the credit as i saw another forum member do the same thing and i just copied what he had done.

Simple enough to make, hopefully dont need to test them out too much though haha.

Cheers, Mick

Latest posts

Back