Air Intake mod..

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy_jay89

Reaction score
ok firstly im doing what 4byfor did with the k&n pod filter

but i am having an issue as i want to keep the maf pipe essentially how it is...

so what i need to do is use silicon reducers to fit the pod box

the maf pipe is about 3.25" and the filter box is 2.75"

is it fine to do this... (im keeping the factory rubber pipe)

the concern i have is the the turbo inlet is only 2.5" so it creates a "balloon" in the pipes it goes 2.75--3.25--2.5

So theoretically as I drink this beer you should be fine if you keep everything bigger than 2.5" in regards to airflow. Balloon or not the turbo should keep sucking away regardless.
As for the function of the maf it may be possible to alter the way it reads by altering the size/speed/volume of the airflow if it was positioned in a slower/faster part of the airflow. In your case it is the original pipe section then it should be exactly the same because the flow is the same etc.
....gets me thinking though...if I put my maf in a 4" pipe would my variable vane turbo try to up the pressure to reach optimum levels or would it back off the fuel....???

Don't forget pictures jimmy...

Last edited:
yeah thanks for the ....

pics will be done when i have all the pieces.. just ordered the silicon pipes that i needed

since im on exam block should have it done by mid next week

I'd be keen to see some pics and how you went with this! Do you currently have a snorkel fitted?

For the moment I am waiting on parts to arrive.

Yes I have a snorkel fitted.

If you want a basic view of what I will be doing. Check out 4byfor. Performance mods thread. He's done this and so much more

I also have dne this to my nav.. Pictures in my garage.. Mine sounds loud.. But even wit the standard air box it wasn't quiet .. fitted wit snorkel..

all done... sounds good better than stock

did gt rid of a flat spot around 1-1.5k rpm

need to get my hands on a new snorkel head to hear what it should sound like...

(i made a new one up with mesh and its creating a hissing noise)

Old tread I know but I want to do the reverse here. I want to piss the rubber hose off and replace with intercooler piping but keep stock airbox for now as I drive in dusty conditions n dont thid pod filter will last. problem is turbo intake is 2" airbox outlet is 3.25". Only way I can see of doing it is a 45° 2-3" reducer and a 45° 3.25-3 with straight pipe in between. Other option was just cut ribbed section out and clamp it direct to pipe just not sure how well it would seal. Other issue is how have people plumbed in pcv (provent 200 going in on the weekend) and little vacume hose into the aluminium pipe?
Sorry alot of questions I know but a few beers has clouded the thought process I think.

All you need is he following to replace the factory rubber intake pipe whilst retaining the factory airbox.

- 1 x 3-2.5" Silicone Reducer
- 1 x 3" Silicone Joiner (this will fit over the MAF pipe...just)
- 1 x 3" S/S or Ali 90 Deg Elbow - a tiny bit needs to be trimmed off the MAF sensor end

+ the clamps

Very easy to do and should take no longer than 30mins... Just note the intake noise is almost quadrupled and does get annoying... I have done full intercooler as well and the turbo flutter gets frustrating at times.

Had a look at a mates today his turbo end is angled up slightly and can use a straigh reducer. Mine sits level and wont fit same setup. Got my hands on a 2-3" 90 reducer and played around a bit with a 90 bend. Think I can make it work. Ill keep everyone posted. Mine is a 2013 st think his is a 08 09 but not 100%. Why cant nissan keep everything the same. Having issues mounting provent 200 also. Their kit doesnt quite fit the 2013 model. Will have to modify to bracket a bit I think

Back