Aluminum vs Steel Roof Rack

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obr1en

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a roof rack to go on top of the cab section of my D40.. What are people's opinions on aluminum vs steel? They are around the same price.. Aluminum is obviously lighter but is it a compromise in strength?

I am looking to MaxTrax, shovel, hi lift and a second spare for a trip to cape York on it..

Cheers

Hi mate,
I have little to no experience with racks however as a commercial builder I work with both materials plenty. A lot of people would be surprised by the strength properties of aluminium, especially with alloy composites.
Boxed sections of ali are pretty damned resilient and it takes a fair amount of force to do any damage. Generally, because of the savings in weight their thickness is beefed up more than steel as well.
Another bonus with ali is that weather elements have no real effect on it, it wont rust but may oxidise over time if in a raw state.
The only downers on ali is that thinner parts may be subject to metal fatigue quicker than steel from continually movement or flexing, and if you want to modify or fix anything you need to tig weld it - working with steel is much easier for a home job as you can mig or arc weld it.

Again, I have no experience with the racks, but as a material aluminium is pretty bloody good and there shouldn't be a compromise in strength.
I'd advise doing a bit of homework on the racks and see how thick the members and anchors are in comparison to steel. All that information should be able to be sourced from the supplier or manufacturer no problems....hope that helps a little

Last edited:
Are you talking about a roof cage/ basket?

Last edited:
Sorry, yes talking about a roof cage.

Similar to the ones in these links:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151499072296?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2-LENG...71?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item417122684b

I currently have Rola HD Roof Rails so I was not going to use the mounting kits that the cage would come with and just use the feet of the Rola Cross bars.

I like the idea of the aluminum cage but I wasn't sure if steel would be a better choice.

looks like much of a muchness between them both, either of them look the goods and would likely suit your needs.
If it were me i'd probably lean more towards the ali basket and that's only because of the price and weight difference.

Yeah I'm leaning towards the ali for the weight factor more than anything and once back from Cape it will most likely only carry a swag/tent and a jerry can or two. I just wanted to see what peoples experiances with ali cages were.. ie cracks etc?

In this day and age you'd be silly not to use Ali.
Is how you might it/what to that will make the difference here.

Latest posts

Back