..and now the starter motor :-(

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete22

Reaction score
Latest thing to go wrong with my D40 is the starter motor. Solenoid engages but nothing turning over. Nissan Roadside Assist (great to deal with BTW) picked up the ute on a flat bed and took it the 70 odd kms to Nowra for a warranty fix. Now awaiting parts from Melbourne (2+ days) and hope to have the car back on Thursday.

The solenoid can sound like it's engaging but if one of the terminals has burnt/melted or otherwise destroyed itself, it's not going to do a thing. A set of 800A jumper leads across the two solenoid terminals will prove whether it's the solenoid, or the starter motor.

Unless it's the earth to the motor. Might be good enough for the solenoid (low current) but not the starter? Only way to find out is to jump across from batt negative to the engine body.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice Tony. I'd done most of what you suggest...ie cleaned all the terminals and the earthing points but still no go. Roadside assist decided to take it to the dealer in Nowra and they rang and told me that the starter motor had shit itself. Probably due to my recent spate of serious river crossings on Cape York but they are still doing the fix under warranty.

New starter motor fitted and all good. The workshop foreman also told me that the failure of the starter motor was in part attributable to diesel leaking on it from a very small, but constant drip from the aftermarket water separator I've fitted. Didn't try and blame this to escape the warranty and even put a by-pass in until I can get back to Cooma Diesel to have the system fixed. They didn't have the parts in Nowra to fix the leak and I will be back in Canberra early next week so will get it looked at there.

An observation: This is the 3rd Nissan dealer that I've had contact with for warranty work and all of them have been fair and reasonable IMO. None have tried to avoid any of the 'warranty' work I've asked for and frankly they could well have as I've done a lot of aftermarket work on the car. Happy to give a 'thumbs up' to these Nissan dealers: Lennock Motors - Canberra, Westco Motors - Cairns and Nowra City Motors- Nowra.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back