.....and so the mods begin!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigpat

Reaction score
G'day guys,
Bigpat here, just a newbie to the forum. Had a quick look around, and think the content here is great.

My D22 is coming out of warranty soon, so the mods will slowly commence.
Had a Toyota Surf previously, and had heaps of fun with mods like:

Custom made bash plate
Custom Stainless nudge bar
2" Body Lift
2" Suspension lift
Free wheeling hubs
Detroit Ezy locker fitted to front diff
Ball joint & front diff spacers
Custom (self welded) air-air intercooler install, with BOV
Custom (self welded) catch can
Blocked EGR
2.5" mandrel exhaust
Adjustable boost system
Big sound system
Custom rear storage unit
HKS Turbo Timer
HKS Boost Gauge
GME UHF Radio

I don't think the Navvie will get all that, but I already have some smaller things lined up. Look forward to receiving advice from those in the know!

Cheers,

Pat

Welcome mate.

What age D22 you got ?

Check out people signatures for ideas aswell.

Dave.

Hi Guys,

Mine is a 2006 3.0 TD ST-R Dual cab.

Haven't done much at all, due to warranty.
Bought it with factory fitted snorkel, colour co-ordinated factory steel bar, tub liner/ tonneau cover and tow hitch. Only wound up the torsion bars a little to stop the front end hitting the bumpstops, and fitted 265/75/R16 Cooper ST's.

I don't plan on doing a lot of offroading. Black is not a great colour to hide scratches, and mine is in very good nick, as I've looked after it since new. I use it for work on construction sites, so it sees lots of highway kays, and mainly tow the boat and trailer with it. I mainly want to let it breathe a little better. I'll do the easy, and cheap stuff first, and go from there.

First I'll fit a turbo timer, even though I always idle down the truck. Looking at a Bogaard one at the moment.

Next I'll modify the constrictive inlet plumbing from the snorkel into the air filter (I see Safari ones aren't much better either). I feel it really restricts them around 2700-3000 rpm and under load.

I see people mention a butterfly/EGR mod. I'll read up a bit more on it, but I remember doing something similar, and adding a catch can to my Surf also....

After this I'll fit a 2 stage adjustable boost unit, with perhaps a 3-4 psi increase over standard. I'll have a fiend hook up an exhaust analyser to make sure it doesn't throw the mixtures out.

I also plan on doing to fabricate, and fit a water-air intercooler. I'don't really want to cut the bonnet, and besides want something a bit different.

A fair way down the line, possibly fit a larger dump pipe and exhaust, and juuuust maybe, an aftermarket chip.

Suspension wise, I will have the rear springs reset about an inch higher, or replace them as they have settled somewhat. I'll have the same spring rate, as they are stiff enough I feel.

After that, just minor things, maybe a winch, some better spotties, upgrade the stereo and speakers, and fit my UHF from my old Surf.

I figure that's enough to start with!

Cheers,

pat

Hi bigpat Welcome. Black 06 STR rule!!! END OF STORY:rock:

Wait till tweak gets involved hear as he's one of the local (but kiwi) guru's but from what I gather the extra boost is a waste of time. From the factory the 3.0L all ready runs somewhere between 13-18 PSI. Going hight anly really raises EGT's

I have to say the intercooler is always a good idea, for two reasons: it does improve performance a bit, but it also catches broken bits of turbocharger before they can enter the engine. I am considering changing some of the hoses to use metal sections, I'm not confident that the hoses are maintaining their shape. I fear that the heat may cause the low pressure side to collapse, and the high pressure side to balloon, which won't help my engine struggle its way towing 1.8T around the desert.

If I ever fit a turbo timer, it'll be one that monitors EGT, because it's the EGT that matters, not the time.

Don't forget that winch will add about 35-40kg to the front of the vehicle, my D40 rides much better with the heavier springs that have been fitted.

Finally, a catch-can - I'm definitely doing this mod.

Catching turbo shrapnel is low on my prioritise for a 'cooler! I figure if I get the turbo serviced at 150,000 km, and don't abuse it, it shouldn't grenade. In the desert, I agree an intercooler would be a great modification in your case.

Agree with you about EGT, very important. I used to set my TT in my Surf for 1 min as standard, but if I towed or gave it a hard time, it would be a minimum of 3 mins. Will look for a TT with an EGT function, and weigh up costs.

Replacing the hose sections with steel bits only makes it harder to pull apart, and doubles the chance of more pressure leaks in my opinion.

I wouldn't think the hoses would collapse especially if they are the re-inforced rubber type. I don't believe diesels have enough vacuum to pull in the hose, if so, there is a major restriction upstream from it to sort out. I agree that the pressure side can grow a little.

Replacing them with a re-enforced silicone hose is the go. The best of the best is Samco hose, but it's pricey as well.....

Yeah the catch cans work great. I knocked up baffled one that recirculated the air through a gauze filter, and it worked a treat. Agree that non-recirculating keeps the engine cleaner though. I found that it was important to have enough capacity and a good breather so it doesn't pressurise I think a 1-1.5 ltr can should suffice.....

Back