another 3" exhaust Q

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitcht_21

Reaction score
Hi All
New to the forum but im looking at getting a 3" turbo back straight through with end muffler on a 2009 2.5TD. iv looked at a few but would like some opinions from some ppl that have got them.. mostly brand, cost and reliability im looking for at the moment the XFORCE stainless is the the front runner but would like to compare some other systems.. anything would be muchly appreciated thanks

cheers Mitch

Yep as Sparra said go the Beaudesert 2.75. I have one fitted to mine. They are reliable, post fast and fit well. You can get stainless and mild steel with or without a muffler. From memory $1200 approx delivered to NSW for mild steel.

Cheers.

Even 2.75" is pointless.

Turbo back, also pointless. Aftermarket cat, pointless.

You will get all the benefit out of a 2.5" cat back system unless your really pushing alot more boost and power than standard, only then will you need something better.

haters gonna hate... but im going 3", just because i dont want to redo it later on

i will be going intercooler, turbo etc

haters gonna hate... but im going 3", just because i dont want to redo it later on

i will be going intercooler, turbo etc

Absolutely nothing wrong with that mate.

Before I sell a system, I always find out what the future plans for the vehicle are.

No point selling expensive and over the top if the exhaust is the only mod the car will ever get..

And no point doing it twice if you will be doing further upgrades down the track.

yeah the plan is down the track a aftermarket intercooler and a chip that's why I thought of the 3"

Absolutely nothing wrong with that mate.

Before I sell a system, I always find out what the future plans for the vehicle are.

No point selling expensive and over the top if the exhaust is the only mod the car will ever get..

And no point doing it twice if you will be doing further upgrades down the track.

Lindsay what do you think about just the removal of the stock muffler on the stock system?
does it do anything compared to a new 2.5" system??

got me sold,
With my truck having a chip and the cost of the 3" over the 2.75" i believe ill stick to the 3"

at the end of the day its personal choice,
after all if we all picked the same thing wouldnt the world just be boring!?

Yeah, the muffler is the main restriction in the system.

So you could just take it out, or install a new rear section for most of the benefit.

Best practice is just to replace it cat back though, so it remains modular incase of damage etc..

Both made out of 1.2mm walled steel.

We refused to drop the wall thickness down to this just to lower costs. The amount of times it will be damaged over the lifespan of the vehicle goes up significantly over 1.6mm systems.

i live down the road from Scott (aka scotts rods) his work is great, knows his stuff and the big plus.. he warrants his work, not happy with something, hes happy for you to come in and get it sorted

3'' is too big for your 2.5
get a beaudesert 2.75

No diameter exhaust is to big for a turbo engine. Theoretically the exhaust system is prior to the exhaust wheel. After that is just a tube to take the gasses away from the engine bay. Unlike a N/A engine the larger less restrictive the better. The greater the pressure drop across the exhaust turbine wheel the greater the energy extracted form the exhaust gases/ heat.

No diameter exhaust is to big for a turbo engine. Theoretically the exhaust system is prior to the exhaust wheel. After that is just a tube to take the gasses away from the engine bay. Unlike a N/A engine the larger less restrictive the better. The greater the pressure drop across the exhaust turbine wheel the greater the energy extracted form the exhaust gases/ heat.

while that is true is there any gains to be made from 2.5" - 3" with a stock 2.5lt engine ?

while that is true is there any gains to be made from 2.5" - 3" with a stock 2.5lt engine ?
Good Point! Only the dyno would tell. Having said that I would have an half educated guess that a bigger dump pipe off the back of turbo will have a more beneficial effect than say a slightly larger diameter exhaust all the way thru and or muffler deletion would.

was more thinking of what the difference between two straight through systems from the turbo,
or 3,
one @ 2.5"
one @ 2.75"
one @ 3"

It would be interesting to see how much gain there would be with each system.

3" straight through with no mufflers, gives it a nice roar. Buy some mandrel bends and flanges, then get welding! Have your new beast done for work on Monday!

This is very true, there is no point getting a 2.75, or 2.5 unless its stupid cheap, since all the pre built systems are around the same price you might as well get the 3'

the larger the diameter, the faster the exh gas escapes and the cooler your turbo exh is. This helps reduce your EGTS and makes the engine happy along with improving the spool up time of the turbo. you may get an extra 1-2 psi as well, but that will depend on the setup.

apart from this there is no super performance gains that you are going to see, fitting a larger exhaust and a larger inter-cooler will set you on your way to running more boost - more boost will see you get more power.

personally i would select a straight thro system with a single high flow muffler, the diesels don't generate allot of noise so one muffler is heap's to keep it quiet and still have a nice engine note.

If you have a newer diesel removing the catalytic converter is properly illegal - check your state laws

the cat is also a massive restriction on the exhaust, so they are removed for a more 'free flowing' exhaust style.

Older cars dont have them anyway, so you need not worry.

Latest posts

Back