another broke nav

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, have problems with my 08 stx auto. Engine is stock, scv replaced under 12 months ago.
So was on my way to work the other day and the car just stopped in a 100kmh zone, @%#^!. All the lights came on for a second then turned a corner and it stopped. Put it in park and everything died. No hazards, totally dead. Main fusible link was blown, yet to check for fault codes now that it has been replaced by mechanic.
Will now crank, engine turns over, but wont fire.
Have used the search function and read many horror stories re injectors and am expecting this to be a fuel issue but am yet to find another case like it on here.
I have more faith in this forum than any mechanics i know, please help!

Welcome to the forum!

It takes a fair bit to blow the main link - it's a 140A fuse. Finding what blew the fuse in the first place is the very first task although I admit that isn't going to be easy. Check that nobody's wired a winch to the output of the fusible link (winches have to be connected directly to the actual battery terminal).

It is entirely possible that the alternator has given up the ghost and the battery voltage isn't high enough to provide enough power to the ECU or the fuel injectors. Grab a multimeter and measure the voltage right now - if the battery is reading under 12.2V then find a replacement (borrow if possible) - something that is rated at 600CCA or higher because the diesel needs up to about 550A to turn over.

If the new battery can turn over the engine, quickly check the battery voltage - it should rise to over 13V very quickly if the alternator is ok, and if it doesn't then grab a new alternator. 130A replacement units are available, should cost around $600 or so.

Thanks for the replies guys! It has around 180xxxkms on it. A few weeks ago we were driving up some hills and it just died in the arse like we were suddenly pulling a van. Boost pressure and temps were ok and no fault codes then about half hour later was all good. Other than that all was ok. Will check out the alternator hopefully theyve already tested battery but that should be a problem itd have at start not while driving. The winch etc were wired in after the main fuse but i wasnt using anything at the time plus the new fuse is in n still no fire. Will post with the solution once we sort it.
Cheers.

Got word from the mechanic. It failed a compression test and sounds vey clunky and nasty and feels almost seized. He reckons its dropped a piston possibly due to bad injector(s) over a long period. Needs a new engine. Going to get it towed to another place for a second opinion but if its the same i might look at selling it as is due to many other mods. Any suggestions on how much itd now be worth? Has arb canopy arb roof basket bullbar arb sliders brushbars arb tow bar/rear step winch muddies on sunraysias plus factory rims also with tyres 3" old man emu lift kit dvd player reverse camera gme uhf lightforce hid spotties.

Not good to hear fella, and thanks for the update it all helps. My thoughts are what let go and why ect ect?. What caused the main fuse to blow?, that is a massive short to create such a problem. If it has crapped itself as you mention the crank angle sensor would normaly be the first to report a problem to the ECU. It would in most cases encourage limp mode, then shut it down. The kms you have are low for a diesel, strange it went well then failed with no warning if the timing chain was ok.

Agree with what ur saying seems odd the fuse would just pop for that reason. Its getting towed to a more betterer mechanic tomorrow and he ll look at it end of the week or so and let me know. As soon as i hear another diagnosis ill be sure to post it for future reference. Yes it is fairly low kms but i think it may just be abit of a lemon. A nice looking lemon tho i must say

Sorry I'm a bit late but the K's that you have done put the Nav slap bang in the time when the chain lets go I had my changed at 169000K's and it was a accident waiting to happen--Just prior to having the chain upgraded i also suffered a total loss of power for no apparent reason maybe the ecu was sending out distress signals. Be interesting to hear if it was the chain the damage caused by the chain snap would result in no compression--bent valves /holed piston and unfortunately a large bill.
Grumbo

not sure if you can perform a compression test when the timing chain is busted as some valves will remain open or closed thus causing an incorrect compression reading. being an automatic you could be lucky in not having piston damage and even valve damage as when driving an auto and the chain snaps , the engine will stop straight away as there is no drive train opperating like a manual has when you drive and turn off the ignition whilst still in a gear [ ie; engine still turns over compression ] the automatic is like being in a neutral gear [ ie; no engine turn over ]

Got another opinion; says may be a holed piston or something similar. He took the top off the engine, camshafts exposed, and cranked it over and it was barely turning over and making a nasty grinding squeelling sound. Stillnoone knows why the fuse blew other than theories about power surges. Bloke i work with had similar problem with his chipped lux and ended up being a holed piston due to under/over fuelling. Going to get a trade in price for it as is one afternoon this week on a dmax. If trade price is rubbish ill try and sell it as is and failing that ill part it out. Damn.

Latest posts

Back