Another Turbo Whine....D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan04

Reaction score
G'day,
I've been having trouble lately with a whine/noise I'm pretty sure is coming from my turbo. Ive had the ute for around 3 months, its a D22 2004 ST-R, has 110,000 on it, oil was changed as soon as i got it, although service book says it had just been done. It has made the noise since I've had it. Hasn't got any worse over time, although some days it seems louder than others Sort of sounds like a cat is under the bonnet whining.
Whine isnt there when it is cold, temp gauge at 1/4+ its there. Happens around 1800rpm+.
Ive blocked off EGR pipe both ends, tightened up all bolts and seals, replaced egr gaskets.

Ive checked turbo play... and seems excessive, (see video) although doesn't appear that the housing has been hit, on intake or exhaust side. Seems to spin alright, isnt notchy or grabbing. Which has left me thinking that the bearings are a bit tired, or they have been cooked, due to neglecting to idle before shutting off, by previous owners. Still boosts fine, has plenty of go, and have had no other actual issues with the engine, just this noise.

I live in Albury and I don't think there are any specialized turbo joints around here anymore. So trying to work it out for myself before traveling at least an hour to have someone look at it.

So I am guessing I'd be up for having the bearings re-done, or fitting a brand new turbo. I don't have an inter cooler and am not really planning on getting one. What sorta prices would I be looking at for either? Any other help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Dan.

View My Video The video is of the intake side, with me moving the exhaust side. There is obviously side to side movement, but there is no back and forth play.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. Best thing to buy whole new turbo, not rebuild old one, yeah? Should i just be getting a new, same as standard one from nissan or an aftermarket one... whats the usual/best way to go?
I would be happy with a turbo with similar power output as the standard one, so i'm not looking to spend extra money upgrading everything, just want the get the turbo to a point that it should be.
I'm happy to spend what i have to but not looking to go overboard.

Was planning on taking the nav over the coast after christmas.... depends how quickly i can get this sorted.

Thanks
Dan.

You can rebuild the old one and it get it hiflowed or get a aftermarket one.

ATX do a replacement turbo which is better but its $2500 with new lines and its watercooled.

The bolting pattern is the thing that holds everyone back but the ATX one bolts straight on.

Dave.

nothing wrong with a reconditioned one like this if you just want the standard one... Online Store - Denco Diesel & Turbo

other good turbo places most likely charge about the same. check daves other thread for benefits of the upgraded one if interested

Thanks for that Al, they're Wagga based yeah?
I found a place reasonably close to my place, he said 550 to rebuild it, as long as there isnt any other damages..... im assuming the housing would have to have taken some sort of hit.... does this seem about right?

seems like a great price, go local if they have a good rep, i know how much i'd want to spend if given those two options

Ill give them a call again tomoz and sus it all out. Hopefully can get it all back together before holidays.

Ill keep you's posted.

Dan

Another option

dan04, Another optio to consider. The nissan dealer in Ballarat had genuine new turbos for the ZD30 for $1300. I think they also had them on e-bay.

So it appears my turbo is really rooted. Took it to turbo joint today, he said the center piece between the compresser and exhaust side is stuffed somehow, he said its had a kit put through it recently, most likely just to get rid of the car. Its been hitting on the housing, not worth fixing as it may not correct the issue or if it does it will just happen again with time.
He told me to get get a new turbo.

Spoke to Nissan, then want around 1600 inc. gaskets for new genuine turbo.

Denco is looking alright at the moment, but still ringing around getting prices etc.

When i picked up up the turbo from 1st place, they now tell me it needs a new core, (turns out bearings were fine, found service plate on turbo with job number, rang up turbo place and they confirmed it had bearings done in Nov 08) so basically a whole new inside. Told me it would be cheaper to try pick a new one up for 800-1000 off ebay if they are still on there.. and of course there are none on there suitable.
Long story short, its on its way to Eastern Turbochargers down in Melbourne, Kev seems to know his stuff. He said the genuine turbo cores that are in standard/new nissan turbos are pretty much shit, and that he has had plenty of them go between 100 and 150k. (mines done 110k). He replaces the core with an aftermarket one, and said he hasnt had one back twice. Offers 12 months warranty with it. His price is 1250+gst for new core, bearings, etc, including new turbo gaskets if anyones interested.

Should be back early next week.
Ill let on how it goes.

Last edited:
Good stuff, better you get into it now before the compressor wheel blows to pieces and ends up in the intake.

Good luck.

Dave.

Got the turbo back last week. Cleaned right up, looked like a new one. Put it all back together, all seems to be fine so far. Whining noise is gone so i am happy.
Ended up being 1450 inc. gst in the end.
If anyones keen on any details let me know.

Cheers, Dan.

Yeah, I can not say I have ever seen one with that much radial play! I reckon you are lucky not to have spat a wheel off it or broken the shaft!

Latest posts

Back