Any carbon fibre composites or fibreglass proffesionals here?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
Not Navara related but is anybody here competent at laying up CF?
Need some covers done and had a go on one part....came up ok but too thick and lost all definition.
If anybody has a mate even that can do it let me know.
Can provide parts as buck / mould.

Hi Aido

It a piece of piss to do.:hahaha:That what I try and repair on aircraft for the flying kangaroo.(20 plus years):sarcastic:
Questions.
1/ Why do you want to use carbon fibre?
2/ Is it for strength or looks?
3/ Are you using polyester resin (3 part resin) or epoxy resin(2 part resin)

Shane

Epoxy with 2 layers of cf weave.
I need it because the rules say I need it but at the same time I want it to look shithot and not tatty.
Yes its easy to do but good results take a bit more skill.
Does Qantas have an autoclave? LOL

As per GCR 15.1.3.4 ----All lateral covers/engine cases containing
oil and which could be in contact with the
ground during a crash, must be protected
by a second cover made from composite
materials, type carbon or Kevlar , or be
fitted with heavy duty crash resistant
end cases made from solid metal. Plates
and/or bars from aluminium or steel are
also permitted. All these devices must be
designed to be resistant against sudden
shocks and must be fixed properly and
securely. Bonding alone is not a suitable
method of mounting.

Personaly I believe its a wank as CF and Kevlar composites only offer tensile strength and not abrasive resistance. But rules are rules so I need to comply.

Last edited:
I assume they are for a bike, the rules are a joke, I made a set of flimsy aluminum engine casing covers for a mate and they passed because they were 'solid metal' even if they were 1.2mm alum. Would have lasted about a tenth of a second if they hit the ground.

If you have any specific questions you can pass them on to me and I will get one of the chassis guys in my race team to answer it for you... But as for actually helping, I don't think you'll be able to get any of their time. They have a hard enough time making our chassis let alone anything else. Some of them would probably come out and help you for cash-in-hand since they're starving students.

Hi Aido

No Qantas doesnt have an autoclave.We had a chance to buy one many years ago but it was knock on the head by the powers to be:rant:
They are good if have all the moulds and tooling.Some of the carbon fibre we use is prepreg which has to heated to 250f or 121c.We also have dry carbon fibre which we can use with room temp resin or high temp resin epoxy.
For what you want to do it will require a venture/vaccum so that you suck all the extra resin and air out of sealed bag to about 12psi pressure on the mould.In the sealed bay you would have mould,peel ply,perforated film,bleeder cloth.
Pity you are not in Sydney as I would have done it for you.

Shane

Auspost can get them there.
Seriously.
I can do it but the one I have done has turned out like year 7 arts and crafts. It will pass scrutineering but looks homemade. I would like thin as possible and really neat. The one I have done has lost definition of the casting and looks like a carbon fibre paper mache.
If I were to post the engine covers I need covered to you with the CF weave could you or would you do them?

Latest posts

Back