Anybody replaced the sissy factory D40 horn?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHUUBZ

Reaction score
D40's are being advertised as the toughest trady car going round although it has possibly one of the girliest horns from factory I've ever heard, half the time other cars cant even hear you honking at them in traffic or road rage!

So has anybody replaced the factory horn?

Would going to the wreckers and getting an old Falcon or Commodore horn work in the D40?

T

Last edited:
I'm with ya CHUUBZ,the horn in the missuses astra sounds better.We need something that will mount up on the original bracket.
The search begins.

D40's are meant to be the car recognized as the toughest trady car although it has possibly one of the girliest horns from factory I've ever heard, half the time other cars cant even hear you honking at them in traffic or road rage!

So has anybody replaced the factory horn? Would going to the wreckers and getting an old Falcon or Commodore horn work in the D40?

don,t think it would fit, but for your road rage you cant beat the air horn :devil:

I love nothing better than giving a GOOD HARD TUG on the air horn in the truck i drive :sarcastic:

don,t think it would fit, but for your road rage you cant beat the air horn :devil:

I love nothing better than giving a GOOD HARD TUG on the air horn in the truck i drive :sarcastic:

those running lockers could rig something up im sure!!

the missus is constantly giving me a ribbing about my girly horn, glad this thread went up i'd be interested to see if anyone comes up with anything.

the missus is constantly giving me a ribbing about my girly horn, .

I think i would keep quiet about that:sarcastic:

The hunt begins for a big hairy manly HORN for the hair dressers wagon

Got a generic horn from the local auto elec for a tractor, Its loud ok and annoying very annoying

I replaced my D22 horn with a Stebel electric air horn and it was great until it got a dump in muddy water and now it sounds like a dying sheep and only works sometimes. I've cleaned it and the wiring - but no cigar. Very frustrating.

Last edited:
Got an electronic air horn used to have it on the smart and that made people shit themselves

They are a girls ute anyway.

Matches the rest of the ute.

Krafty loves his horn been blown so I hear. Lol.

The Hella Supertones are very loud for electric horns, some people find the twin tone annoying but that's probably a good thing if you're trying to make people notice you.

I've been meaning to fit a set to my D22 (mainly because my daughter keeps laughing and saying 'Dads got a girly horn' *sigh*).

I haven't been able to locate them locally so far so if anyone can find where to get them from in Australia I'd appreciate a heads up.

Link to you tube video about them.

http://youtu.be/P5SRGEY3EVg

I run an air horn from Wolo in the US called the Chief.
Damm loud and scares the crap outa people
IMG_1286.jpg

Krafty loves his horn been blown so I hear. Lol.

And I don't care who blows it.

I still have the same WTF thoughts on this as I did when people bitched about the girly D22 horn that needed replacing. Who uses their car horns that much that it makes a difference what it sounds like.

The Kubota horn sounds worse than the D40horn but it moves cows out of the way hopefully I don't need D40 horn for anything that severe.

The Stebels are ok but don't believe the 139db claim, they are roughly as loud as the Hella Supertone twins (between 115 and 120db depending upon your test methodology).

I hated the horn in my D40. I drive in traffic every day so use the horn a bit to wake people up when the lights go green. I've only had the ute for just over a month, but I replaced the horn with just a cheap adjustable one from Supercrap. It isn't great but it is better than stock and only cost me $14.00. I'm glad this thread came up as I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who had an issue with the standard horn.

Latest posts

Back