Anyone Have autos?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattM90

Reaction score
I have an auto but wanted a manual. The reasoon why i got auto is i tow a 2.4 tonne boat and i heard that the clutch in Navs arnt that great.

I want to do a bit of 4x4 but i heard there is a big difference.

Just want to know thoughts if anyone here does any extreme stuf in auto

+1. The auto is fine off-road, I haven't done extreme stuff, but I've been through mud up to the sideboards, water almost covering the wheels and loose sand that the tyres sank into up to the rims (and I did that while towing our van). Glad I didn't get stuck and have to get out, because the place was crawling with snakes!

The manual actually has a harder time, because of the dual mass flywheel. It's not really a clutch problem - the DMF doesn't dissipate heat, so any riding of the clutch - which you would do a fair bit of while 4WDing - will cause a massive spike in heat, which burns the clutch and destroys and the pressure plate springs.

Just curious. How many people have auto's on this forum. Is it true the transmission burns while doing heavy 4x4?

The autos have a transmission cooler that assists in heavy usage. If you're concerned about the gearbox under load, you can fit a larger cooler and get the oil changed more frequently.

The only thing to be aware of is that the ATF is quite specific, and Nissan will NOT warrant the gearbox if you are using the wrong oil in it.

Other than that, we've towed a caravan for over 30,000km and haven't had any gearbox issues at all. Some of those have been during summer in the middle of Australia, the worst would have been pushing through the soft sand on the Ernest Giles Road in central Aus, although we've done plenty of hill climbing while towing and no issues there either.

Latest posts

Back