Anyone have issues with speedo.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudguard

Reaction score
Hi,
Recently purchased a new D40 4x4 and have noticed other vehicles passing me in 80 and 100 km/h zones. Thought I was driving to the actual speed shown on the speedo until I turned on my Tom Tom. As the Tom Tom was accurate with my last vehicle, the unit displayed 94 km/h as my speedo was bang on 100 km/h. At 80 km/h on my speedo the Tom Tom displayed 74 km/h.
So 6 km/h slower per hour than speedo reads.
Anyone else had this issue and what to do to correct it?

Pretty much standard .Mine was almost the same until I put on bigger tyres. Stock was 255/75/R16 and moving up to 265/70/R16 has it almost spot on. I installed a ScanGauge so I could calibrate that to show the correct speed to match the GPS

Navara speedos are all the same. Don't bother asking the dealer - the speedo can be up to 10% plus 4km/h UNDER the speed you are actually doing.

The car's ECU actually knows (on standard tyres) rather closely how fast you're going. It's just the needle that's out of whack. Putting larger tyres on does make the *needle* look more accurate, but the ECU is less accurate - affects your fuel figures and odometer.

i havent found a car yet that has an accurate speedo.. my nav speedo shows 108 when I'm doing 100. non standard tyres or a lift will also make a difference.

Im running 275/55r20's on my d40 and the speedo is bang on.. not sure how that works but its the same diameter as my new 265/75r16's.. I always thought it would set it out

i havent found a car yet that has an accurate speedo.. my nav speedo shows 108 when I'm doing 100. non standard tyres or a lift will also make a difference.

I used to have an au falcon that was pretty much spot on, less than 1km/h difference, stock tyres.....

Suspension won't affect speedo, only bigger tyres

Thanks for the info. Nissan dealer told me yesterday that all cars built now are like this and the dealers wont change it. Apparently its done that way to work in your favour for driving at the speed limit to avoid possible fines.

Thanks for the info. Nissan dealer told me yesterday that all cars built now are like this and the dealers wont change it. Apparently its done that way to work in your favour for driving at the speed limit to avoid possible fines.

That's a crock of shit too. It's done like that because ADR 18/03 says:

5.3. The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle. At the test speeds specified in paragraph 5.2.5. above, there shall be the following relationship between the speed displayed (V1 ) and the true speed (V2).

0 ≤ (V1 - V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 4 km/h​

Which basically means the speedo can never indicate lower than the actual speed but is allowed to be inaccurate up to 10% + 4 km/h (at 100km/h actual speed, it is allowed to display up to 114km/h). Nissan comply with the law (they are required to) and the law allows them to have this level of inaccuracy.

The speed referred to ("paragraph 5.2.5") is (for our vehicles) at 40km/h, 80km/h and 120km/h, meaning the speedo must meet those conditions at all three speeds (and at a temperature between 18C and 28C, s5.2.3).

In other words, they've complied with the letter of the law, they've made it roughly accurate, and they are NOT required to make it any MORE accurate unless you want to spend the money getting it calibrated.

Calibration changes with tyre wear - your best bet for an accurate speed measurement is to use a GPS unit and then be a little wary when in tunnels, among tall buildings or during storms.

if you want to spend some coin you can get round this. ScanGuage II is a awesome lil bit of hardware, plugs directly into your diagnostic port and shows you a ton of information, spped, rpm, boost, water temo, intake temp ect ect..... you can adjust the ScanGuage so that it will show your correct speed, just use the tom tom as a guide and away you go.

Was one of the first things i brought for the Nav, love it. dont even look at the speedo anymore always looking at the guage.

I just put 265/75 R16s on my D22. With previoue tyres (265/70 R16s) actual speed was 98-99km/h with speedo at 100km/h. Now according to GPS software and well rated speedo app, at 100km/h on speedo actual speed is 104-105km/h.

Is this this much of a change common? Where/ how would I check if there is a speedo corrector which had been set by previous owner to correct speedo to read true for the 265/70 R16s he had on it?

When I run my road tyres 255 60 16 if I'm on 100km on the speedo I'm actually doing 95-96km

If I run my muddies 265 75 16 my speedo is bang on accurate

I use the scan gauge to monitor the road tyres when they are on

My 2013 RX 6spd manual standard wheels & suspension reads as follows.

60kmph. Actual 53
70kmph. Actual 62
80kmph. Actual 71
90kmph. Actual 80
100kmph. Actual 89 / 90
110kmph. Actual 98 / 99

I bought a Dualis 2 weeks ago for my wife and brought up the speedo accuracy of the Navara with the sales guy and asked about the Dualis, they said the Dualis is spot on and they are aware of the issue mainly in the RX and told me it's a warranty issue they could sort out, just let them know about it when you book it in for the next service. See what happens I guess.

5 - 6 km out seems common these days though, our 09 Mazda 6 was out that far, a neighbour has a Holden Cruise that is 6km out.

Cheers.

I wouldn't worry if it was under but being over is more a concern for me for those brain fart moments and forget that when I'm doing 60 I'm actually doing 65.

Read a couple of things guys on here saying they're speedos went back to spot on when they put 265/75 16s, which makes me wonder like I said if the previous owner might have put a speedo corrector in and where I could most likely find this if one was installed

I seriously wouldn't bother with a "speedo corrector" gadget. On the D40s they won't work anyway, since the D40 uses the aggregate value returned by the ABS sensors and NOT the revolution sensor in the gearbox.

Just use a GPS device and learn to MOSTLY rely on it. Poor weather, tall buildings, tunnels or inverting the vehicle on a tricky section of 4WD track will all cause the GPS to be inaccurate, but otherwise they're good for a 1% error margin, compared to up to 10%+4km/h on your speedo.

Going from a 70 series to a 75 series tyre would correct the 5 km out

Cheers mike. The 70s must have been bang on for speedo accuracy, hence my dilemma now.

I seriously wouldn't bother with a "speedo corrector" gadget. On the D40s they won't work anyway, since the D40 uses the aggregate value returned by the ABS sensors and NOT the revolution sensor in the gearbox.

Just use a GPS device and learn to MOSTLY rely on it. Poor weather, tall buildings, tunnels or inverting the vehicle on a tricky section of 4WD track will all cause the GPS to be inaccurate, but otherwise they're good for a 1% error margin, compared to up to 10%+4km/h on your speedo.

Thanks Tony. I may have to go with a GPS after all. Or a Scangauge some of the other guys have mentioned.

Thanks Tony. I may have to go with a GPS after all. Or a Scangauge some of the other guys have mentioned.

The scangauge relies on the ECU data. On standard tyres, the ECU is quite accurate - what's NOT accurate is ONLY the needle.

If you change tyre size, the ECU will be less accurate and Scangauge won't show you the correct speed. The error will directly correlate with the odometer accuracy - check against a measured zone on a freeway.

The scangauge relies on the ECU data. On standard tyres, the ECU is quite accurate - what's NOT accurate is ONLY the needle.

If you change tyre size, the ECU will be less accurate and Scangauge won't show you the correct speed. The error will directly correlate with the odometer accuracy - check against a measured zone on a freeway.

Apparently you can adjust the scangauge to show a corrected measured speed. However their website said they are not compatible with the D22 ZD30 :banghead:

Anyone know the details and wiring colour for the speedo input on Navara 550?
I'm thinking of using a "yellow box" speedo correction unit to get some accuracy into the speedo. Seems there is an option with this to go before ECU etc or after - input to the speedo.
Also appears the basic signal comes from aggregate of the four ABS (and maybe gearbox) signals.
Ain't life complicated!

Latest posts

Back