ARB Outback Roof top console install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wazza696

Reaction score
Hi guys very new to this forum so bare with me as i navigate through how things work. I Have recently purchased a D22 05 Navara and putting in an outback centre console. I have read the instructions all seems straight forward, however :) im also installing a GME 4400 UHF is there any reason why i cant use the existing map reader supply for the supply of the UHF if i wire in the inline fuse. Also i have an ARB bull bar were is the best place to mount my GME 6.6db aerial and any advice how.

Welcome to the forums.

No real reason why you can't use it, it's 12V and it's live. Personally I prefer my CB on th AUX battery but that's not everyone's choice. I considered hooking my DVD player up to that supply when I installed my console but again went the Aux option for that too. But it can be done if that's the way you want to do it.

If you don't like bright lights all the time when you get in and out of the car disconnect the door switch wire in the console to save all three sets of lights coming on at the same time. Not for everyone but those LED's at night really gave me the shits.

Krafty's right but, the UHF would probably draw more current than the map light. The outback takes it's power from the dome light and it's pretty light gage wire, I work in a 4wd workshop and we always plumb in fused power from the battery. Since you're already dragging in an aerial cable from the engine bay it's not really that much extra effort and then you can leave the UHF running when the key is out of the ignition.

Most important is the current draw. Can the cable handle the say 5 amps current draw, without dropping too much voltage to play havock on the UHF? as davess said, very easy to pull in a seperate UHF Cable for power, doesn't need to be huge cable.

Both the wires on my console and the ones in the roof are about the same gauge as I currently use for my CB but even if mine wasn't powered from the Aux I'd still prefer a direct connection to the battery.

Murphey's Law will state the day you need your CB to get you rescued is the day your electrics fail and you have nothing, a direct connection to either battery might just be the saving grace on that day.

I have the exact same set up and got my feed from the 12v consant power supply from the lights had it like that for 6years no problem.

I have my UHF spliced into the cd player acc power so it can't be used with out the key turned on or accidentally left on, haven't had a problem with it

I have the exact same set up and got my feed from the 12v consant power supply from the lights had it like that for 6years no problem.

my radios would melt that wiring....but then I have some high current draw radios...
I still recommend dedicated wiring all the same...

Welcome to the forums.

If you don't like bright lights all the time when you get in and out of the car disconnect the door switch wire in the console to save all three sets of lights coming on at the same time. Not for everyone but those LED's at night really gave me the shits.

I think I know what you mean Krafty. For me it's the colour temperature, it's way too cool. I'm going to remove the lights and slip in some colour correction gels at about a 1/4 CTO (orange celophane to y'all).

For me it's just bloody annoying. I spent years driving the midnight run and too many lights inside the cabin is something I can't stand. I'd rather have someone come at me with their driving lights on than put up with dashlights and other lights lighting up the cabin at night.

Latest posts

Back