Auto G/Box in Manual Mode

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soap

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if why my Auto kicks down gears while in Manual mode? is it supposed to do this in these navara's? All my other auto cars ive previously owned operate that when they are in manual the only time they go down a gear is if your speed becomes to slow for that gear.

It kicks down 2 gears when i go to overtake when im in manual mode just the same as if it was in auto but the only diffference is it wont change back up, is this how it is supposed to work or is there a fault.

2013 D40.

Mine works like that too.
I find it really annoying if trying to hold a gear while climbing hills etc.
Someone else on the forum had there trans ECU reflashed by Nissan and I've been wondering if that would help in this instance.
Another thing mine does that I hate is if I leave it in Drive and try to gently accelerate down hill to carry momentum for climbing the next one the trans down shifts to 4th instead of holding 5th.

If you've got the V6 diesel, it's no surprise. There have been a few people complain about the programming in the gearbox and one (that has written in this forum about it) approached Nissan to be told that it's "Normal operation, working as intended".

It will probably take a few more people knocking on Nissan's door to get them moving on the issue. One person is not representative of the group of owners. Get that proportion higher and then Nissan might respond.

It's a bit like one person complaining to Kellogs that they don't like that all corn flakes look like maps of Tasmania. Kellogs won't rebuild the coastline of that state unless a few more people speak up!

Mine works like that too.
I find it really annoying if trying to hold a gear while climbing hills etc.
Someone else on the forum had there trans ECU reflashed by Nissan and I've been wondering if that would help in this instance.
Another thing mine does that I hate is if I leave it in Drive and try to gently accelerate down hill to carry momentum for climbing the next one the trans down shifts to 4th instead of holding 5th.

Mine does exactly the same, it is annoying how is changes down when it would happpily hold 5th

If you've got the V6 diesel, it's no surprise. There have been a few people complain about the programming in the gearbox and one (that has written in this forum about it) approached Nissan to be told that it's "Normal operation, working as intended".

It will probably take a few more people knocking on Nissan's door to get them moving on the issue. One person is not representative of the group of owners. Get that proportion higher and then Nissan might respond.

It's a bit like one person complaining to Kellogs that they don't like that all corn flakes look like maps of Tasmania. Kellogs won't rebuild the coastline of that state unless a few more people speak up!

I dont have the V6, Ill ask my dealer about this next service and see what they say.

Only other thing that i found annoying but im not sure if its with the auto only is beach driving, I coudnt work out why my car kept dropping power every now and then on the beach, after a while of it cutting power i turned off the VDC and it fixed the problem. My last car would at least put a flashing display on the dash if that was activating.

But apart from these very minor glitches i am still very happy with the Navara so far.

It drove me insane when I was at Stockton last year. I'd select a gear and just as i hit the bottom of the dune it would change Up and then i'd come crawling to a halt half way up the dune whilst watching my mates just drive over it.

I've never really used it on the road, so I can't comment on that one. Mine is 2011 2.5

Yeah my 2012 ST is the same... the auto still basically does what it wants when in manual mode if you try to push limits a little. Especially in low range, it just keeps firing itself up the gears.
Strangely enough I have found the best idea is just to leave the damn thing in drive when on sand/beachy tracks etc and let it do what it wants to do.
When doing some big sand hill climbs etc in coral bay WA, if i played with gears in manual mode in any way I'd get only half way up the hill... leave it in auto and it did often power all the way up. It just seems to handle the shift better when letting it do it when it wants to.
Also my mate has a Discovery 4 Landrover... on the same tracks etc if he was screwing with all of the 25 thousand settings that they have it just kept freaking out the auto and just stopping half way up hills etc. Leave it in basic high-4 auto... powered up each and every hill...

Right or wrong... who knows... it's just what we found.

I have just got back form 2 weeks at Ningaloo station, and i had the same problems as SimmoDRZ, i found when climbing dunes in manual mode it shifted when it liked so i put it back into auto, i only had to click it over to manual once when it started to bog down after i topped a dune so i could get my momentum back to climb the dune on the backside otherwise it was great shitted all over my bro-inlaws patrol that has all the goodies :big_smile: all i have is all terrains and a bullbar. Would getting the gearbox reflashed help, getting it to hold the gear would of been handy in some spots.

Last edited:
I have just got back form 2 weeks at Ningaloo station, and i had the same problems as SimmoDRZ, i found when climbing dunes in manual mode it shifted when it liked so i put it back into auto, i only had to click it over to manual once when it started to bog down after i topped a dune so i could get my momentum back to climb the dune on the backside otherwise it was great shitted all over my bro-inlaws patrol that has all the goodies :big_smile: all i have is all terrains and a bullbar. Would getting the gearbox reflashed help, getting it to hold the gear would of been handy in some spots.

Ill see what they say this service

Forgot about this thread!
Tested mine out and sure enough, in manual mode on the highway in 5th gear, stick the boot into it and it kicks down to 4th.
I understand an auto up change for those who forget it's in manual and it gets to the limiter and going back to 1st or 2nd from a stand still, but manual mode should be manual mode and do what it's told!

Interesting, I've had it auto in low. Never let in 2wd tho as she just sounds bad. I have pushed her to 100 in 3rd tho. Never had her kicked down tho, Unless I'm slowing down.

I dropped my car off for service this morning and asked about my auto kicking down gears when in manual. The reply was that when I shift across into manual mode and don't actually manually select a gear its in sports mode and will kick down until I manually change gears it will continue to do it.
My last car had sports mode and I'm pretty sure D40 don't have this, I questioned him about it but he was sure that's the way it works?

I dropped my car off for service this morning and asked about my auto kicking down gears when in manual. The reply was that when I shift across into manual mode and don't actually manually select a gear its in sports mode and will kick down until I manually change gears it will continue to do it.
My last car had sports mode and I'm pretty sure D40 don't have this, I questioned him about it but he was sure that's the way it works?

I want some of what he's smoking. It must be good sh*t cause that is the biggest load of rubbish I've heard in ages.

I have a similar problem. When I'm climbing a slippery hill, I want to hold second gear and leave it there, but the auto will upshift, which when the tyres get traction, it can't carry 3rd gear, so it will come to a complete stop, kick back to first gear, and try and go again, but with no momentum, I'm stuck. It annoys the crap out of me, it has caused me to winch more times than the lack of front end travel, or excessive wheel base (compared to my old GU).

I've noticed, that if I select 1st gear in manual mode, and at part throttle, it will shift to second and then third, all by itself. I want it to do what it's told, if I want to hit the bottom of a slippery hill in first or second low, I want it to stay there until I want to go up or down.

Is there any overrides?

I want some of what he's smoking. It must be good sh*t cause that is the biggest load of rubbish I've heard in ages.

That is correct. Mine is a V6 but slide over to manual mode and S displays on the dash to indicate sport mode with higher rpm auto changes. Tap up or down then it's manual mode. The V6's only change up without command in low range (and manual mode) but there is a workaround I discussed in another thread. High range manual mode only changes up if you exceed 4500rpm. (The programmed threshold for excessive engine speed)

-

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back