Auto to Manual conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a POS.

Far from it, they are reliable and still have a place.

Its like comparing a 250 Crossflow Falcon motor with a Barra 4.0L.

They both will make your car move, but the newer motor is more advanced and has more potential.

The TD27 and QD32 didn't survive this long by being piles of crap.

They survived by being good motors, just lacking the extra grunt.

Wind the boost up a bit and up the fuel to suit and they'll go alright.

When I see something I'll let you know. You're just after a shell?
Anything that will ensure my rear right hand quarter does not look like it was attacked by a boulder.

Depends on what you want it for. It's an old engine, in an old car. It's not going to compete with a modern diesel engine by any means.

Do a compression test and get the state of the engine.

Another relatively simple thing to look at is the EGR. Is it still there? If it is, get rid of it, and clean out the intake manifold. If its all clogged up, you can sometimes find that the EGR valve gets stuck open, which will kill bottom end power. The black gunk can also restrict air flow, which will steal power as well.
I don't expect it to compete. I drive an i30 manual diesel at work sometimes, and it drives like it's a turbo'd petrol. It's out of control.

Compression test on a diesel? I presume you replace the glow plug with some kind of screw adapter thing? But I have no signs of low compression.

I'll check for EGR tomorrow, but I'll make sure I get rid of it! I am going to swap round to a new turbo, but it's a t25, not the t2. Plus it'd be good for me to pull off the intake manifold and clean up any of the oil that's been spitting into it.

Not a POS.

Far from it, they are reliable and still have a place.

Its like comparing a 250 Crossflow Falcon motor with a Barra 4.0L.

They both will make your car move, but the newer motor is more advanced and has more potential.

The TD27 and QD32 didn't survive this long by being piles of crap.

They survived by being good motors, just lacking the extra grunt.

Wind the boost up a bit and up the fuel to suit and they'll go alright.
Just nudging him on with his post :)
It is a tough engine, I will give it credit that it's probably the most sturdy and reliable diesel I've driven in a long while.

I wound up the boost without doing the fuel, and it didn't help. But I guess I should of cranked the fuel up as well since it became wasted air.

So I drove up from Melbourne to Sydney with an 800kg caravan the whole way. I wasn't able to hold a speed above 80km/h, but it got there in one piece. And I got an economy of 9l/100k return. How? I used the 2 stroke oil. But I decided to go with Shell 2T oil instead. It is by far the best I've used, it helped a lot.

Compression test on a diesel? I presume you replace the glow plug with some kind of screw adapter thing? But I have no signs of low compression.
No sign other than being gutless and not revving high? Personally, it sounds like a fine old diesel to me, but a compression test is a fairly harmless test that will tell you a fair bit about the engine condition. I've never done a diesel compression test before, but yeah, I believe you screw it in where the glow plugs are. I might be corrected.

I've never done a diesel compression test before, but yeah, I believe you screw it in where the glow plugs are.

Yeah that's right, but you'll need a gauge capable of measuring diesel cylinder pressure, and make sure the plumbing between the chamber and the gauge is as short as possible - the increase in effective cylinder area pushes you closer to a false positive for low compression, it's a common trap.

No sign other than being gutless and not revving high? Personally, it sounds like a fine old diesel to me, but a compression test is a fairly harmless test that will tell you a fair bit about the engine condition. I've never done a diesel compression test before, but yeah, I believe you screw it in where the glow plugs are. I might be corrected.
It doesn't drive like it's low compression. No signs of it, anyway. It really does just drive like a regular, old diesel.

Where do you get these diesel compression test do hickeys from? I presume no glow plug size is universal.

Minimal. I lost about 100-150ml from my last oil change. And I presume that was just from the turbo forcing it down the throat of my intake.

Latest posts

Back