auto transmission temp

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matmce

Reaction score
Hi All
Does anyone know what the automatic transmission temperature is meant to be? I have just had a temp gauge fitted and was wondering where the needle should sit. My gauge range is from 50 to 150, but it doesn't move much above 50. I have only done one drive for about 45 minutes and the rest have been too short the get up to temp. Any info would be great.
The car is a D40 STX 2007 TD Auto Dual Cab.
Thanks

Auto trans fluid is heated by the radiator (it's supposed to be cooled by it, but a cold transmission will be heated) so it's going to be within reach (but should never be over) the 90C of your radiator.

ATF breaks down at something like 120C+ so if your tranny gets hotter than that, don't push the car as hard or stop and allow the tranny to cool.

heated by the radiator ???
i doubt it. the tans cooler is on the cold side of the radiator and gets no water flowing over it till the thermostat opens up, by which time the trans will have heated itself up.

Thanks for the replies.
It looks like my trans is not overworking. I will test it good a proper over this long weekend. From Melb to Hunter Valley (12hrs on the hwy), a day on Stockton beach, a day at Barrington tops, a leisurely day touring the wineries and then 12hrs back to Melb.
I will post up some results when I get back.

Here are my results for my weekend away 'testing'.
Hwy driving - Temp never went past 55C and that was only after climbing a long hill and the auto had kicked down for an extended period of time.
Sand driving - Max temp reached was 110C when under really hard conditions for longer periods of time (climbing to many sand dunes in a row or really soft sand for long periods). I learned that buy turning off the a/c, it helped keep things a lot cooler. Temp mainly sat between 80C and 100C for most of the time. Holding the auto in 2nd high range rather than in drive helped as well. Low range was probably better when things got really soft.
Steep rocky climbs and general low range work - Temp sat similar to sand although every thing cools down a lot quicker after a steep long low range climb. Once again, holding the auto in a gear manually was better on the cooling.
All these temps are for the auto gearbox.
The engine temps from the scanguage went up and down with engine revs and didn't affect the auto temp as much as I thought it would.
Final thoughts - Was it worth the $400 fitted? Yes, if you want to look after your auto.
Cheers all.

what side of the cooler is the temp prope fitted?
i guess its on the cold side.

sounds like the cooler is working ok. but the problem i usually see with the cooler setups is it heats up the water your trying to cool the engine with.

The temp probe is fitted right before the external cooler coming from the auto, so my guess would be it is on the hot side. That is where it is recommended by the company.

Latest posts

Back