Aux battery, anyone mounted one under their D40?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
First post, just got a brand new D40 and am absolutely loving it.

I had the dealer fit a dual battery kit and went for the option of having it mounted off the chassis under the drivers seat as I want to keep space free in the tub.

I had a slightly closer look this afternoon and noticed that it hangs down a little lower than everything else, while I don't do much off roading it is a little worrying.

I've had a search through the forum and it seems as though everyone mounts in the tub, does anyone else have their aux battery mounted under the drivers seat? Pro's or cons?

Cheers
Dave

Welcome to the forum!

From memory, most people who put the battery underneath stick it under the tub. The chassis is much higher at that point and has an axle protecting it, but an auxiliary fuel tank (eg Long Ranger) might get in the way at that point.

Dave,

from the chassis mounted battery trays I've seen come through work, they are pretty solid and only hang the thickness of a bolt lower, you shouldn't have any issues.

Check my garage, as I made and mounted the second battery tray up high under the tub as has been suggested. But, if you are considering a long range tank, it would need to be moved from where I have put it, so your location is fine. That's where I have the 2nd battery mounted on the wife's Pathfinder and it caused no issues on Fraser Island through some deep sand this past weekend.

Would this fit in the d40 behind the seats? i never looked 200ah agm fits perfect in the 22

Attachments

• IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 276
I have mine mounted behind the back seat, glass mat fully sealed, it has been there for 4 years and the car has been to the cape, all round SA and last year Gibb river, Tanami and across the Simpson. It has never moved and is still going great.

There's LiFEpo4 batteries available that you can specify in all sorts of shapes and sizes - they just arrange the individual cells to your specs. You could do something like Jikerd - behind the back seat - but being the new technology, you get a choice - cut your physical size down by over 1/2 for the same capacity, or massively increase capacity.

I've been looking at those LiFePO4 batteries. Dear as poison, but safe as houses and pack double the power per kg of lead. Can't wait for them to become more common.

Thanks for the replies.
Thought I'd take a photo of what it looks like:

aux_battery.jpg

My next dilemma is whether to go for a canopy or lid. Had a look at the alpha GSE-L today, really nice and well priced.

Cheers
Dave

i've got an ARB cradle like the above mounted to the chassis. only has a 50amp agm inside. I have another 105amp battery in the tray. got smaller battery connected up to alternator with switch for utilising it when start battery is flat. Good for using over night and for running 12 volt lights etc.

105amp is used for my 110L fridge connected via 1240 redarc.

Very happy with clearance and not an issue at all.

Where to put second battery.

Hi guys, add my 2 cents worth. Have a 'series 6' dual cad D40 with style side. Didn't want to put the battery next to the fuel tank as I aim to get a long range tank. I made a bracket/holder and mounted it behind left rear wheel inside the guard. If you kneel down and look up there's a fair size cavity just asking for a battery. I put in 125AH AGM battery (330mm long) up there, maintained by a Redarc BCDC 1240 LV unit mounted just above in the canopy. Obviously you need to remove the tyre and inner guard, 4 6mm bolts. Using a AGM style of battery that's totally sealed and maintenance free I only hope to check on it every 18 months or so.
First pic is the battery and hold down bracket behind.
Second is looking backwards into the holder from where the tyre normally is.
Third pic is with battery installed.
Forth is showing how it mounts. 2, m12 bolts where the towbar fits and 2, m14 that holds the rear bumper. Obviously had to purchased longer bolts.
Last photo shows how it fits next to spring pack and that is well above bottom of guard. Cannot be seen at all unless you look under neath the car.

Alby.

Attachments

• 125 AH batt..jpg
    125 AH batt..jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Holder without battery.jpg
    Holder without battery.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Battery installed..jpg
    Battery installed..jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 263
  • 20140609_082056.jpg
    20140609_082056.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 20140609_082029.jpg
    20140609_082029.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 291
SexySilverST-X,
could I please see some more of your set up, the position your battery is in is in a position I'd like to go with, if possible.

SexySilverST-X,
could I please see some more of your set up, the position your battery is in is in a position I'd like to go with, if possible.

There yuh go bro.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140701_233541.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140701_233541.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 158
  • ForumRunner_20140701_233559.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140701_233559.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 141
Back