Bargains with the US dollar so good.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt76

Reaction score
Has anyone else been snapping up any bargains while the US dollar is so good? (or crap depending on which country you live in lol)

I have had my eye on a good fishing reel for when my boat finally hits the water, and couldnt resist a bargain, I got a new Shimano stradic for $160 landed, they are $269 at BCF at the moment. Gotta love that.

Yes some may argue that I should by local to support the local industry, but I buy all my line and tackle here and will buy a rod for it here, so thats surely ok lol.

What have you bought?

I don't use a fishing rod or line any more, since I just keep losing it. Now, I stand at the water's edge and every 15-20 minutes I throw 3 sinkers, 2 hooks and a piece of bait in the water. At the end of the day, I've caught just as many fish and spent just as much money doing it.

As for buying stuff overseas - I'm a slacker, haven't bothered. I ought to, except we're getting heavy into preparations for this Christmas' big trip.

I buy every week in US$ (for the business) and accordingly hedge currency to eliminate currency variations...

...if one more customer says "why haven't you dropped your prices" I'll probably do something I'll regret.

People don't understand that businesses trading in foreign currency generally hedge to mitigate risk and regardless there is a 3-4 month lag from order to the goods being in the shop.

Has anyone else been snapping up any bargains while the US dollar is so good? (or crap depending on which country you live in lol)

I have had my eye on a good fishing reel for when my boat finally hits the water, and couldnt resist a bargain, I got a new Shimano stradic for $160 landed, they are $269 at BCF at the moment. Gotta love that.

Yes some may argue that I should by local to support the local industry, but I buy all my line and tackle here and will buy a rod for it here, so thats surely ok lol.

What have you bought?

any chance of some more picks of the boat matt?

any chance of some more picks of the boat matt?

Yah no probs, I will get some this Arvo if I get home in daylight, not too much has progressed, I have been way too busy at work. I have finished the trailer now, but it looks like the whole package might be a bit heavier than I had planned so may have to convert it to dual axle yet, or sell the trailer and build an ally one.

think i've seen you post around on ausfish mate. i've been getting some fishing gear too from japan though, you are right half the price compared to here. thinking about bringing in one of those high def sounders also.

I've brought a few electronics items from the US while the prices are cheap(er), radios and some components etc, I was going to hit Amazon for some DVD's and books but I haven't really got around to it yet.

As far as business buying goes my suppliers have dropped their prices a little bit but no more than the usual cycle of price drops that occur on parts more than a few weeks old. If I didn't use my local suppler of parts I'd be importing from Japan or Taiwan anyway and the US dollar dropping doesn't effect the Asian markets that much to make the difference viable for the piece of mind and ease of using the suppliers I do.

I do have one client in Canada who mainly works with US dollars and he keeps complaining that my bills cost him more now than they used to.

Yeah,

I buy my riflescopes, some shooting/hunting gear and fishing reel or two.

Used to buy a lot of Chev/Ford engine parts.

Wish I could buy my rifles direct from there, half the price.

Go to WA and buy a block of land and you get a free rifle or shotgun (didn't pay enough attention to see which). Saw the guy on TV the other day acting like it was some great scheme he'd thought up to convince land owners to sign on the dotted line, he failed to mention it was one of the bun fights Michael Moore got involved with in some US town a few years ago.

Ah ok so that's kind of like a standard rate that doesn't fluctuate Bosshogg?

Correct Matt. I buy US$ in advance of needing them to remove any potential currency flucuation. I can only buy in advance at the exchange on the day that I do the transaction. So if the exchange rate was say $0.90 that would be the rate I'd have to lock in. Two other factors come into play. 1. How much US$ do I want to buy and 2. by when will I have spent US$ I bought. Not using up all the US$ bought by the agreed expiry date = penalty!

Go to WA and buy a block of land and you get a free rifle or shotgun (didn't pay enough attention to see which). Saw the guy on TV the other day acting like it was some great scheme he'd thought up to convince land owners to sign on the dotted line, he failed to mention it was one of the bun fights Michael Moore got involved with in some US town a few years ago.

I'm all for gun ownership,

but that bloke idea failed to sell me some land cause of a free gun....some strange people around.

I would say though it was an attempt to get him free advertising airtime all over the country which he got...for free.

You just summed up Today Tonight, A Current Affair and just about every other show of their kind in one sentence.

Yeah,

I buy my riflescopes, some shooting/hunting gear and fishing reel or two.

Wish I could buy my rifles direct from there, half the price.

Hi Fella's

I have done the samething.One scope here was going to cost $1100 but from the US it cost $450 including postage.
Try this sites for scopes and hunting/fishing gear
Cabela's: Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.
Large Selection of Discounted Scopes, Binoculars, Rangefinders from Nikon, Leupold, Weaver, Zeiss, Clearidge, Bushnell, Burris and More!
Both good to deal with,fast service.Just remember there are some item that cannot be sent form the US.

Just remember to keep items under $1000 or you will have to pay import duty's plus gst
As for rifle's it a pain in the butt to get them into OZ to much GOVERNMENT
B/S :sad:

Shane

Hey Matt any pointers for what web site you are getting fishing gear from in the U.S?
Or any stuff for that matter. I am clueless when buying from O.S

Hey Matt any pointers for what web site you are getting fishing gear from in the U.S?
Or any stuff for that matter. I am clueless when buying from O.S

www. reelfishingdeals .com mate

I think thats the first time I have done it from memory too mate, but it was easy as.

They do free postage worldwide, but i paid the extra $10 to insure it. It came today, that was only around 1 week from order. I'm happy as.

I'm after a TLD 20 too, but that site doesn't have them for some reason, if you find one that does in your travels please let me know :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back