Battery install in tub...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozstickman

Reaction score
G'day all. I'm putting a deep cell battery in my tub that will power the fridge and a few lights. I have the dual battery Nav and also I will a camper trailer in tow with two deep cell batteries in it too.

As per picture that will be the layout and hopefully the alternator will charge the extra battery in the tub, and the camper batteries. I will have a solar reg for the tub battery because I am placing a solar panel on the top of the canopy. I forgot to add where all the fuses are.

Hopefully it will be all sweet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414889485.102510.jpg

Hey mate,
Have you got the vsr yet? Personally I would splash out and get a dc-dc charger for any auxiliary battery. I have a vsr splitting up the 2 batteries under the bonnet and they're not fantastic. Good for a basic setup, bit if I ever put a battery in the tub I'll either be setting it up with a dc-dc charger or 240v inverter and charger like old tony...

The alternator just never gets both the batteties fully charged and if your vsr stuffs up for whatever reason it will stop charging the new aux battery....

I have a Matson VSR. It was in my x trail which is what I'm putting in the Nav.

I would like to put a Ctek 250s for the tub battery in the future. Does 12v and solar.

I already got two AGM deep cells on the camper, looking at another for the tub. 110ah each. For now I was going to pinch one out of the camper for the tub.

Righto. .. I'd definitely look at a dc-dc charger setup sooner than later just so you get the most out of those batteries. Because they can handle a lot lower state of charge than a lead acid or gel, you will get a lot longer life out of them with a decent charger on it...

Last edited:
Might put the prices up!!!

What's this 240v invertor to charger business? Wouldn't it take too much power to run the invertor to run the charger?

Nah, it only runs when the motor is on so still the same as a dc-dc charger. You'd just run the fridge off 240v when the engine is running.

Don't need a pure sine wave inverter, although they are nicer on electronics. A decent multi stage charger won't be too picky on its input power source.

Sorry, should have said the inverter runs off the cars electrical system, so only runs when the engine is running

Cool I got that about the invertor running off the car electrics while the motor is running. Relay setup to switch it on only when they car is running I presume?

Yep, from the "on" position obviously... if you get a decent sized inverter you can use it for other things too... I'd probably wire an override switch so you can switch it on when the ignition is off, in case you want to use it for anything else, but that's up to you...

Actually, come to think of it, if you wanted to you could always use the Matson you have to run it... that way it will only kick in when the alternator starts working.

Actually, come to think of it, if you wanted to you could always use the Matson you have to run it... that way it will only kick in when the alternator starts working.

Mmmm redesign I think. After I find the post where old tony talks about it. I'm on my phone with tapatalk and haven't been able to find it yet. Be interesting to look at.

Latest posts

Back