Bilstein 4600 series vs 5100 series

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting FZRR I'd be interested to see if it is different. I'll ask them next time I get an email back but from having the front 4600 billies installed from the US they are a dam good copy. Only reason I have settled for billies is cause I did some YouTube research and got to look at the differences between mono and twin tube designs. The billies have a substantial thicker wall tube so taking rocks wouldn't damage them(obviously depending on size).

I'd be interested to Ser there reply even after there big hype on the webpage about them being genuine billies with digressive valving etc. Gotta remember there is 3 types of valving for the billies. Comfort, heavy duty, sport. I'll ask about the valving aswell. They are selling them as Heavy Duty so my guess is it's valves as HD Digressive

I know that for my IFS Cruiser..the distributor ( AutoCraft in VIC tells me he worked with Billstein to get the damping correct on the extended length shocks...I also know when I contacted Billstein in the USA they new nothing about it,,but then never knew or stocked the part number

in the end you'll never know...just so many different internet stories / BS

Well i'm curious to see how you go because I wouldn't of thought there would be much difference in ride between Rancho and Bilsteins.

I've been eyeing off a set of Bilsteins from the states delivered for $400USD. Nearly brought them back in my luggage when I moved back from Canada a couple months ago lol.

Anyone with the bilstien 4600 from 4x4parts.com, if you could measure your open and closed lengths for me that would be great. Been in contact with them and they recon that the 3" 4600 at 540mm extension will 've at its middle of its extension range. I just want to make sure they are not gonna be to long at compressed length like my ranchos are

It was my understanding that the monotube design was actually more susceptible to damage from stones as with the twin tube the other layer of the tube can be damaged without affecting the gliding of the piston, where as the outer layer of the monotube directly under that is where the piston moves up and down, however id that outer wall was much thicker this may compensate for it a bit.

That being said monotube design is far superior for heat dissipation which is undoubtedly the reason for shocks fading and failing over time over rough corrugations. The heat dissipation is what should be the draw card for the shock, and if in vulnerable places like on the rear passenger side of the D22 where is faces forward I just added a piece of rubber over the bottom part to help protect from stones flicking up.

It was my understanding that the monotube design was actually more susceptible to damage from stones as with the twin tube the other layer of the tube can be damaged without affecting the gliding of the piston, where as the outer layer of the monotube directly under that is where the piston moves up and down, however id that outer wall was much thicker this may compensate for it a bit.

That being said monotube design is far superior for heat dissipation which is undoubtedly the reason for shocks fading and failing over time over rough corrugations. The heat dissipation is what should be the draw card for the shock, and if in vulnerable places like on the rear passenger side of the D22 where is faces forward I just added a piece of rubber over the bottom part to help protect from stones flicking up.

I totally agree with what your saying. I will just add rubber or a stone guard on it to protect it. Fun times to be had.

My rear shocks have a few paint chips thats it. No dents. How do i measure shock length? Flex it up and measure? Or does a shock need to be removed?

My rear shocks have a few paint chips thats it. No dents. How do i measure shock length? Flex it up and measure? Or does a shock need to be removed?

Shock needs to be removed. Let it expand and measure centre mount to centre of mount. Then the same when you compress it completely.

Ahh ok. Might pull one out when it cools down in a few days. 38 degrees here today

Awesome. Thanks mate. I just got email from shock mob and i have a choice of 2 lengths which they have in stock for the 4600. So once i know which ones i should get ill be right

I normally supply 365/590mm Bilstein rear shocks
540mm is way too short

Hey John was actually going to email you regarding this situation. What's the compressed length on your supplied shock? Is it also suited for 2" lift. The size I have got from OS is 372closed 580open.

What price for the pair of rears John? What's lead time in getting them? I'll pick them up from you aswell

Cheers
Rusty

Hey John was actually going to email you regarding this situation. What's the compressed length on your supplied shock? Is it also suited for 2" lift. The size I have got from OS is 372closed 580open.

What price for the pair of rears John? What's lead time in getting them? I'll pick them up from you aswell

Cheers
Rusty

Hi Russ.
The German Bilstein is 365mm comp & 590mm ext
that 580 length is reasonably good,
I Have the German Bilsteins in stock.
But I can not compete with those US Bilstein Prices.
I do wonder how they can retail a shock for $67
The German Bilsteins cost me more than double that
Cheers

Hi Russ.
The German Bilstein is 365mm comp & 590mm ext
that 580 length is reasonably good,
I Have the German Bilsteins in stock.
But I can not compete with those US Bilstein Prices.
I do wonder how they can retail a shock for $67
The German Bilsteins cost me more than double that
Cheers

I agree with you on how they can sell a shock for $66 which is still only $100ish dollars over here. In saying that i like the open and closed lengths of you shock over the US ones. What price for yours? Plus your closer for warranty issues(not that ill have any with Bilsteins).

Cheers
Russ

Watching this with interest,
PM Which way you go Russ!!
As I will definitely follow.definitely need longer ones for the front myself and possibly the back too..
Can you keep me updated which way you go Please.

Geoff I ordered the front bilstien from the 4x4parts website as John couldn't get shocks long enough is AUS at the time. May be different now. But his rear shocks have better open and closed so I will let you know how I go.

Russ

Ok Thanks Russ.
May pop around for a soft drink if you don't mind when you are installing them.
interested to see the difference in the down travel..

Give us a holler when you are gonna install them..😄

So I'm thinking of getting some of these but still a little unsure should I be chasing the 5100's or a longer 4600 for a 2 inch lift

Latest posts

Back