Bilstein 5100

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZORDO

2014 muster Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Just a bit of info i discovered today.

About the Bilstein 5100 height adjustable struts.
When using these struts with Lifted coils use the lower groove.

The lower groove is approx 18mm higher than the standard spring seat
So even with the standard spring the lower groove will give approx 30mm lift [to be confirmed]
If you use the upper grooves you can have top out problems
Cheers

thanks Zordo, confirms what I'd thought with mine. Would you recommend taking out the Dobinsons and using the std coils on either the bottom or 2nd clip? From what you say, sounds like even the bottom clip with the raised coils may still have too much perload.

Happy to bring my ute to you and be the guinnea pig and trial a few things if you like

Gidday John.

By topping out do u mean uca contact with hats? I have hd dobby springs on the second grove (as per ur instructions) and haven't had any dramas as yet. (After fixing front knocking) after fitting front coils though I did notice quite a lot of preload on springs. If its not safe i will change to bottom grove but am worried about losing clearance. Is it safe to leave it as is???

Cheers John.

Gidday John.

By topping out do u mean uca contact with hats? I have hd dobby springs on the second grove (as per ur instructions) and haven't had any dramas as yet. (After fixing front knocking) after fitting front coils though I did notice quite a lot of preload on springs. If its not safe i will change to bottom grove but am worried about losing clearance. Is it safe to leave it as is???

Cheers John.

The problem is not UCA contact & yes it is safe.
Long term it may damage the struts if it tops out regularly.
To avoid top out drive very slowly over speed bumps. That where both front wheels drop at the same time.
The topping out problem will generally occur when driving over speed bumps.
Under normal driving conditions all is fine.
The American Frontier is higher than our d40s
So the 5100s are effectively giving extra height even on the lowest groove.
In my opinion if you have aftermarket coils use the bottom groove.
If you have STD coil you could use the 2nd groove [I need to confirm this though]
Cheers

Last edited:
thanks Zordo, confirms what I'd thought with mine. Would you recommend taking out the Dobinsons and using the std coils on either the bottom or 2nd clip? From what you say, sounds like even the bottom clip with the raised coils may still have too much perload.

Happy to bring my ute to you and be the guinnea pig and trial a few things if you like

Hi mate.
By dropping to the lower groove with M/D Dobinson coils you will drop 15mm & reduce the top out effect.
I would give that a go first.
Cheers

Hi mate.
By dropping to the lower groove with M/D Dobinson coils you will drop 15mm & reduce the top out effect.
I would give that a go first.
Cheers

Thanks ZORDO, have you got spring compressors that can do the job without removing the strut? seems easy enough to unload the coil and move the clip if there compressors out there that can do the job

Thanks ZORDO, have you got spring compressors that can do the job without removing the strut? seems easy enough to unload the coil and move the clip if there compressors out there that can do the job

hi mate.
There is not enough room to that in the car
The struts are easy enough to remove
Cheers

The problem is not UCA contact & yes it is safe.
Long term it may damage the struts if it tops out regularly.
To avoid top out drive very slowly over speed bumps. That where both front wheels drop at the same time.
The topping out problem will generally occur when driving over speed bumps.
Under normal driving conditions all is fine.
The American Frontier is higher than our d40s
So the 5100s are effectively giving extra height even on the lowest groove.
In my opinion if you have aftermarket coils use the bottom groove.
If you have STD coil you could use the 2nd groove [I need to confirm this though]
Cheers

I plan on doing quite a bit of off roading so I guess I have to remove them once again. Very frustrating coz this will be the fourth time. How much clearance will I lose by using the bottom groove. I have hd dobby coils. i don't want to leave it as is if its going to cause long term damage.

Cheers.

I plan on doing quite a bit of off roading so I guess I have to remove them once again. Very frustrating coz this will be the fourth time. How much clearance will I lose by using the bottom groove. I have hd dobby coils. i don't want to leave it as is if its going to cause long term damage.

Cheers.

Hi mate.
you would lose about 15mm.
If you are happy with the way your car performs you can leave it.
I spoke to a guy down your way & he has the same set up for 5 months with no problems other than the topping out.

Cheers

Last edited:
Have OME HD springs on 2nd groove with no issues at all. No noise anywhere and very comfortable ride. Any higher and there was too much preload and bounce but 2nd groove has been great for over 20k.

if I get time tomorrow, I'm taking my struts out and moving the clip from 2nd groove to the bottom, if I get the time and get it doone, I'll report the difference on this thread

Have OME HD springs on 2nd groove with no issues at all. No noise anywhere and very comfortable ride. Any higher and there was too much preload and bounce but 2nd groove has been great for over 20k.

Yes that would work with OME coils.
OME coils don't give much of a lift to start with so going with the second groove would be ok.
Glad it is all working for you.
cheers

I have a 2012 st d40 with tjm outback bar and 9500 pound winch, totaling close to 90kgs+

I've been talking to Kirk from 4wd1. In his experience 5100 are are good (only) for light-weight "sports truck" applications (no winch) and when fitted to factory original coils.

While the internal build-quality of the Biltein struts is superb, the units locating points (mounting points) are only original spec. With up rated strut damper, up rated coils and extra weight, you really need strut units that are over-engineered at all mounting/bushing locations.

He then goes on to say that tough dog foam-cell struts which certainly meet the category.

I finally got around to changing mine from the 2nd clip to the bottom.

is definitely a whole lot better but does still top out a bit. I'm going to change over to the std coils on the 2nd clip and see how that goes. did drop 10-15mm but still sits higher than my mates with EFS 2" lift. will update again once I change it over

it's interesting for sure. toughdogs are 41mm shocks and Bilsteins are 46mm. I wouldn't see Bilstein making a big bore shock that can't handle the load.

interesting he says you need them to be over engineered. if the toughdogs are over engineered and Bilsteins are engineered strong enough, then they are still strong enough and don't need to be over-engineered. I think he means you don't want something under engineered which i'm sure Bilsteins aren't

Have a new 2012 D40 and have just purchased the Bilstein 5100 from the US (sorry did not realise Zordo sold them, doh!).

Have nothing up front (winch etc) and 90% of driving on road with no load and the other 10% off road and 250kg in the back and want a lift of about 1-2''. What rear springs would be best/good value and if it is worth changing the front coils or wait until they die?

Latest posts

Back