bit of a introduction and some D21 advice needed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparks

Reaction score
so i feel like i've read nearly every major thread and figured i should get involved.
At the start of the year i got my '87 Double cab 4x4 D21. bit of a gamble cause i got it with no history at all, anyway the price was great and the mechanic gave it the all clear so i picked it up. its already paid itself off as my work vehicle so it owes me nothing and i've grown pretty attached.
just want to say hi and thanks for this brilliant site.
Upgrades to date: pioneer stereo with a custom box holding two 4'' speakers infront of the gear stick in that dead gap, and 6'' in the doors. Big offset Mangle wheels with some Kumho Kl71 muddies, rubber flairs. Spotties.
Now all i need is a LSD front and rear and some more towing power, the TD27 is a slow gutless beast.
Now i'm looking for some advice. Will putting a turbo on my current motor with 220,000ks on it put it on the fast track to eating itself?
am i better to swap it with a factory TD27t? and finally cause we all love to dream, if an engine swap is the best bet can i fit a TD42t in, cause that would make my day.

cheers

Welcome mate. The more D21 owners with custom plans the better, there's only so many dual battery kits and homemade drawers a guy can look at, you know?

Now i'm looking for some advice. Will putting a turbo on my current motor with 220,000ks on it put it on the fast track to eating itself?

Provided services have been done on time, 220,000 is not a lot of KMs at all for a TD27, so if your max boost is at a sensible level (6-8psi) then you won't affect longevity noticably and you'll get the added power you're after.

am i better to swap it with a factory TD27t?

How long's a piece of string? Depends on your mechanical nouse, how long you can have the ute off the road, etc. Engine swaps are a LOT of work, especially on these vehicles (older=frozen bolts, and Jap=can't take part A off until you've removed parts B through Z), so that's your judgement call. There is a lot less research/parts hunting in a direct swap, but more spanner twirling.

and finally cause we all love to dream, if an engine swap is the best bet can i fit a TD42t in, cause that would make my day.

Do you know how expensive TD42Ts are? Anyway, I haven't seen it done yet, being a six cylinder you'll need to run the radiator on the front of the radiator support with thermofans, you'll also need to run a body lift to clear the MUCH bigger transmission, and I'm not sure how you'd go about dealing with the front propshaft output being on the wrong side of the car... Front solid axle swap? You may also need to fab your own engine mounts, transmission cross member etc as the TD42T ones would probably have the block hitting the firewall.

Last edited:
cheers mate, exactly the what i needed to know. sounds like the turbo would be best short term, easier to dream then actually have my truck off the road eating my money. the other thing is my rear axle code is CA48, does that mean i have a c200 with 4.8:1 diff gears? hoping it's a LSD with a ruined clutch pack and it's a easy fix but what is the front diff and can a LSD be fitted or is it a waste of time and CV's? thanks again

the other thing is my rear axle code is CA48, does that mean i have a c200 with 4.8:1 diff gears? hoping it's a LSD with a ruined clutch pack and it's a easy fix but what is the front diff and can a LSD be fitted or is it a waste of time and CV's? thanks again

Yeah that's right, 4.8:1, C200 rear and R180A front. The best solution in the front is to fit a Lokka or similar, it's pretty easy to fit and are easily available for something like $600. Set and forget.

Back