Black oil...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokster

Reaction score
Just a quick question for those of you that service your Navaras yourselves...

How long before the engine oil turns black ?

Reason I ask.. had the car serviced about 6 weeks ago. Didn't check the oil straight after the service to ensure that it has been changed.. done approx 3000kms since, and noticed on the weekend that the oil is nice and black.

Is this normal ? Or was I taken for a ride ?

Regards
Niel

Mine used to be like that aswell until i did the EGR MOD. (Bout 3 services after) I noticed that now when i check the dip stick it is still a golden yellow colour. When i drop the oil at 5k it is black but when i poured it out at the tip last service it was still that golden yellow with a black tinge...

The black comes from blow-by. It's unavoidable with a high-compression engine - some of the hot gas produced by the combustion process slips down past the piston rings and into the crankcase. Some of the gas contains soot - not quite completely burnt diesel.

I'd also recommend the EGR mod. This will allow the combustion process to be more complete, producing less soot (incompletely burnt diesel) and making your oil look better for longer.

Just a thought, I reckon the Pro-vent catch can also makes a difference to the engine oil color, by taking the oil out of the blow-by gases, even though only a small amount of oil is removed it is very black.

egr block is the go apparently mine goes black in ten minutes so ive got a blocker coming

its a diesel engine....its turns black quickly....
not all the old oil is drained so the process of new oil blackening is sped up somewhat.
Even with the egr mod it will still go black quick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back