black smoke after new turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaraD4009

Reaction score
I have just recently bought a 2009 navara D40 the turbo blew up and I had it fixed now its blowing black smoke from the exhaust the mechanic said it still has oil in the exhaust system to burn off and should do within 100ks, is this the only reason for the black smoke or is something else wrong

if you had a leaky turbo seal on the old one and has put alot into your cat / exhaust then yes it should burn out if you get it nice and hot.

If it's a solid blue like you'd find coming from a Hyundai Excel then it's oil. I wouldn't expect it to last too long - 100km is a bit more than I'd have thought it'd go.

If it's black it's overfuelling - which could also mean underboosting. Either way, there's more fuel in the combustion chamber than air needed to burn the fuel.

Step 1: block the EGR. Should cost you about half an hour of your time making the gasket from stainless steel (don't use aluminium). Doing this won't change a lot except to remove any exhaust gas from your air intake.

Step 2: clean the MAFS in the intake. Don't be rough with it, it's worth $400. Remove it gently and spray inside it with electrical contact cleaner (Jaycar sells it for about $9 a can, Supercheap Auto sell it labelled as "MAFS Cleaner" for $20 a can).

Step 3: Try it. If it's still blowing smoke and your air filter is clean, it could be any of these:

1) Boost sensor
2) Fuel rail pressure sensor (nasty, and unlikely)
3) Chip not functioning properly (likely)

If the turbo had let go it's possible that the intercooler filled with muck too, so before you go blowing cash on more components, pop it off, pour a litre of unleaded fuel in it and swish it around. Keep doing that until it comes out clean, then let it sit for 3-4 hours before reinstalling.

I got navara d40, 2009, diesal 2.5, it gives black smoke, cant accelrate above 60mph, and consumes alot of fuel. As soon as i rev or the car gets a bit of work to climb, it emit black smoke. There is also high fuel and less power.
There is no air filter in it, as i am struggling to find one in market at the moment. I changes mobile oil recently along with engine filter. The turbo seems in good condition. Fuel pump is kicking in and doesnt seems to be giving a major problem. Injectors not checked, but i was told by local garage if the injector out of order this car wont start at all, god know how much is that true. The diesal filter also seems clean as well as checked. It has done only 60,000 miles. Will you be able to help what could be wrong with it

Back