Black smoke is it normal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subz123

Reaction score
Hey guys got my new ride 140kw motor it blows out some smoke when i start boosting over 2rpm so when the turbo starts boosting car drives perfect is this normal if not then whats the fix

Yeah it's normal. These engines are renowned for being sooty. You put your foot down more fuel straight away but until that boost arrives, out comes the black smoke. No easy fix. There is a few things than can be done to reduce it. EGR block helps. Hard pipes where possible on the intercooler piping and larger exhaust, particularly a larger dump pipe off the turbo. This should allow the turbo to spool" faster.

I have wondered if completely by-passing the intercooler with hard pipe would help or even eliminate the the puffing billy look at low RPM. The trade off would be less outright power and higher EGT's

Before you go running out and doing any of that check your air cleaner element and give MAF sensor a clean with the right cleaner. Then do a fuel pump reset/ECU relearn. You never know it may help.

Last edited:
Also could be blow by oil from the crank case ventilation. Installing an oil catch can should help with that and keep your intercooler cleaner.

Ok sweat thanks boys im gonna do the MAF sencors frist also if i block egr would tge ecu pick it up and send it limp mode or should it be ok

The blanking plate should be made of something that isn't going to go soft at 700C. Mild steel is ok but prone to rust. Stainless steel (1mm thick or more) is better. Both sides should have Permatex Ultra Blue on the contact area.

Hard pipe all the way from turbo to intake is an interesting idea, and it'd be possible with a TMIC. I think FMICs are more popular but TMICs are technically superior (here is a good read about the differences).

I wonder how much power you'd gain replacing the D40's FMIC with a fan-assisted TMIC, which would remove the heat from the cooling system ... interesting idea, but I doubt you'd recover the cost of doing it.

The blanking plate should be made of something that isn't going to go soft at 700C. Mild steel is ok but prone to rust. Stainless steel (1mm thick or more) is better. Both sides should have Permatex Ultra Blue on the contact area.

Hard pipe all the way from turbo to intake is an interesting idea, and it'd be possible with a TMIC. I think FMICs are more popular but TMICs are technically superior (here is a good read about the differences).

I wonder how much power you'd gain replacing the D40's FMIC with a fan-assisted TMIC, which would remove the heat from the cooling system ... interesting idea, but I doubt you'd recover the cost of doing it.
That egr block does wonders no more black smoke when i put my foot down

Latest posts

Back