Block Kit advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteV

Reaction score
Hi all,

Don't have a lot of cash at my disposal. When I do will probably put in a 2 inch lift kit. Have a mainly stock 2013 D22 STR. Got bulbar, towbar, wound up the torsion bars a bit after installation of after market shocks (mechanic), bashplates and the usual external extras (lights, roofracks etc). Finding the back end a bit saggy especially under load when I go camping.

I'm thinking of packing in a 50mm block kit ($225 from http://www.4wd1.com/Navara-D22.htm similar prices all around) inbetween the stock leafs and the rear axle. The main reason is to provide a bit of extra lift in the tub and away from the top of the rear tyres, giving me a bit of extra flex room.

Questions - how easy is this to do, anyone with experience and what do I need to do (eg. jacking up the car, what to watch for etc)? Any reason not to do it (safety, negative driving effects)? The guy tells me to paint it black, not sure of road-worthiness afterwards.

Appreciate constructive comments. Cheers.

Your better off stretching another $70 and getting EFS constant load springs. Not only will it perform way better than the blocks and standard springs it is also legal. The supplier suggests painting them black so they don't stand out to the authorities.

Thanks Happy John, my mechanic actually discouraged me from doing this also but recommended getting Poly Air airbags instead. These come in at a handy $800 though. At that price I may as well hang out for a lift kit. Would it be fair to say the end result of both airbags and the EFS change is a lift of the saggy rear end allowing some extra space between the tub and the tyres (tub, not axle of course)? This is really what I'm after, I can live with the ride being a little rough and bouncy. I expect that for the extra $400 the airbags provide that extra comfort in ride plus the ability to have less bounce with heavy loads (which I only have occasionally)? Trying to weight up the pros and cons of both. Either way I'll need a mechanic to install, more than likely. Cheers.

I wouldn't bother with air bags Pete, most will tell you the same with bent chassis ect. I run the comfort EFS with the van 1.7t and 160kg ball weight and the tub loaded I sag 14mm. I would think constant load would more than adequate for your needs. Give Zordo a call he will probably suggest the same mate. Also remember with bags your ride will be rougher and you lose flex.

I agree with happy john, air bags are a big risk for leaf sprung vehicles, puts huge stress into an area of the chassis not designed for it, spring for some good springs.
I've used greasable extended shackles with stock leaves on mine to correct that and it works for me, they're not everyone's cup of tea though but great articulation from stock springs with longer shocks, but I did have to solve driveline vibrations after fitting.....it would be simpler just to fit lifted springs.

Ok so what about the Tough Dog constant load leafs on here to replace the stock stuff: http://www.4wd1.com/Navara-D22.htm ? These are supposed to give about 40mm lift and will help the sag when loaded up with camping gear. I also assume they're fully legal. Either way I have to get them installed cuz I can't do that myself. Big question - if they give lift will they still work with my after market standard length Tough Dog shocks?

Ring John at ZORDOS

I payed around 600-700 for my constant load extra heavy duty leafs shipped

Or because your in sydney
Go to ultimate suspension they are awesome guys and go above and beyond for their customers

Ok so what about the Tough Dog constant load leafs on here to replace the stock stuff: http://www.4wd1.com/Navara-D22.htm ? These are supposed to give about 40mm lift and will help the sag when loaded up with camping gear. I also assume they're fully legal. Either way I have to get them installed cuz I can't do that myself. Big question - if they give lift will they still work with my after market standard length Tough Dog shocks?

Sure they'll still work but down travel will still be limited to what a stock shock would be, doesn't really matter if you're not trying to maximise your articulation and especially if you're not wanting to waste the money already spent on the shocks, use them until they're no good and then buy lifted length new ones.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Ended up going for a set of Tough Dog continuous load (300kg) set of new leaf springs. Raised the saggy back end about 2.5" and has a nice ride to it still, in fact better than the stocks. I thought it would be rougher but doesn't seem to be the case. Will probably sag a little over time and adjust to about 40mm lift in total. Main thing is I can load up and not be too worried about heavy load sagging. See how we go...

Latest posts

Back