Blown turbo should I pull head of

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much oil?
Some people being optimistic here. If I was to guess (and thats all this is because I haven't listened to the noise) id say that a piece of turbo has been in a cylinder and destroyed a ring set.
This will cause oil in exhaust, lots of oil in your new catch can and the piston to slap around in the bore (maybe causing more damage)
Like I said this is a guess. A compression test would rule this out without taking the motor apart.

Found out what the noise is there is pressure in the air box that is leaking out any ideas y that would b it is a fare bit thanks all for your help so far to

What mods can I do if I rebuild it and is there some where that it can get a full rebuild kit from that any 1 knows of and a price

I dont want to hijack this but saves starting a new thread.
My turbo on my 03 d22 shat itself on cup day .. Put a fair bit of oil through the engine bay around the turbo .
What the best place to start to work out what part of the turbo has let go ?

if its just needs a new turbo i can manage that myself .. But if heads need to come of and look inside i out of my depth then ..
But if possible id like to do it myself ( uni students arnt really made of cash )

if you take the head off, you have to replace the head bolts and the gasket. From memory the gasket is about $200 and the head bolts about $300.

if you have someone else do the work, will prob be around the 2k mark I would say, that's just for an inspection, assuming nothing is wrong. Depending on what is required could be up to 3-4k worth.

Best place for genuine parts is nizzbits (google)
aftermarket try Engine Australia
For the turbo there are plenty of cheap ebay options otherwise genuine for the $1500 mark

why do head the bolts need replacing? have done a few heads over the years (that just sounds wrong) and havent replaced the bolts. is it a diesel thing with higher compression or nissan using cheap ass parts?

why do head the bolts need replacing? have done a few heads over the years (that just sounds wrong) and havent replaced the bolts. is it a diesel thing with higher compression or nissan using cheap ass parts?

Head bolts should always get replaced and the head should be cracked tested and machined flat. Replacing a head gasket on a ZD30 is not a trivial exercise. Most shops would charge around the $5K mark, which isn't unreasonable.

It gets expensive rebuilding a rebuild......................

I dont want to hijack this but saves starting a new thread.
My turbo on my 03 d22 shat itself on cup day .. Put a fair bit of oil through the engine bay around the turbo .
What the best place to start to work out what part of the turbo has let go ?

if its just needs a new turbo i can manage that myself .. But if heads need to come of and look inside i out of my depth then ..
But if possible id like to do it myself ( uni students arnt really made of cash )

If it's just sprayed oil around the engine bay it could be the oil feed line has ruptured but normally when they fail its the compressor wheel that explodes. Can't really say much without seeing it, but you'll probaly have to pull the intake elbow off and get a look at the compressor wheel to start with.

^ Some D22s have turbos with bolts in the back that come loose. If they do, the thing can separate and leak. There is also a risk of destruction - check it sooner rather than later.

Torque to yield. Ie do up to 50nm, turn 90,turn 90, turn 90. They get stretched that is why the get replaced.

Back