Bolt-on intercooler upgrade for YD25 D22 - pics

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docp1980

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just thought i'd throw some pics up of the intercooler ARE cooling have knocked up for my YD25 D22. I'm now on my second Nissan intercooler and like the first, it's also began to leak. ARE have kept the Nissan tanks, but modified these to be more efficient and have put in a new thicker, larger, fully welded core. This is a bolt-on replacement, I just have to rip off the old rubber seal and replace this with foam as per a template they have cut out for me as the old seal won't allow the new intercooler to work at full efficiency. They reckon I should see an increase in overall efficiency in the area of 58% based upon their testing. Pics are below for anyone who may be interested. I've waited ages for a bolt-on replacement for the crap YD25 intercooler and these guys are the first ones I have come across that have put the effort into designing and testing it. Will let you know how it goes once I fit it!

Cheers,

Matt

Top view

Bottom view

Top view with old Nissan plate

Top view with new ARE plate

How much do they cost and do you notice a difference in performance?

It was $798 plus freight. You also have to send back your old intercooler so they can rework the tanks for the next customer.

Bit of a rip when you can buy an intercooler 3 times the size for that price

If you ask me, it's pretty bloody good. The ZD30 intercooler upgrades go for around $1500, they have reworked the tanks and the core is larger, thicker and is Australian made. I'm sure you can get an eBay intercooler 10 times the size from China for the same price and you'll have buckleys of making it fit on top of the block anyway....... The standard YD25 intercoolers leak, largely because they aren't welded.

job looks well made, interested to hear your reports mate, i would think gains wouldnt really be noticeable as its still a top mount, but piece of mind knowing it isn't leaking like a sieve is a good thing,

let us know how it goes mate.

My mechanic did my zd30 intercooler for 350$ the core was completely reworked and welded like that one. Double the performance almost.

Id be interested to hear reports as i think mine is leaking which is giving me false boost readings. How much thicker is the core? Will i be abkle to install my thermo fan back onto this cooler?

Rustynav, are you in Vic? If so talk to outback 4x4 in bayswater. They do a top job and will fix up your intercooler without an 800 $ price tag.

Rustynav, are you in Vic? If so talk to outback 4x4 in bayswater. They do a top job and will fix up your intercooler without an 800 $ price tag.

Teleman

Unfortunately not. The cores used in the ARE coolers are Australian made and are ADRAD branded. My bro in law works for Adrad and has rated these cores as best on the market and the 42% better efficiency would be dam close. He recommended I get a better catch can in place before upgrading to a better core.

The other drama I have is I have a fan mounted to the current unit and don't want to remove it as it works perfectly for slow bush driving. Also I have a boost gauge bung welded into the side of the cold side outlet of the cooler and don't want to have to get it done again. As ARE are only at Brendale I have emailed then asking if I can drop the car in and get the work done to my cooler so I can keep the extra bits I have added to it. Unsure whether the fan will mountback oon though as the tubes are thicker and may not line up with the fan mounting brackets. I may have to find the extender legs and stuff for the fan in amongst the other junk to refit it.

I am happy to oat the $785 for the cooler as they have done a fair bit of r&d into this cooler and with running 18psi the poor factory cooler is getting a punishing.

Rusty

Rusty you got a link to the product Page in are coolers at Brendale? And is that $785 mates rates or the standard price?

I've installed my new ARE unit and am very happy with it. These guys have put a lot of R & D into it, which is evident in the final product. Running it without a top mount plate at the moment as they are still getting these cut. Rusty, what brand thermo fan are you running? I am considering this option as the crappy Nissan rubber boot on the bonnet scoop will not allow the new core to be fully exposed to air flow.

Also $785 is standard price. You can get just the core with the standard tanks welded on for $598.

Ah Kay I get it. So your paying for an upgraded core as opposed to a standard one welded up. All cool. I wish I had the fan on mine. Probs would have helped a lot.
Are the intercoolers on the yd25 similar? They look almost identical to the zd30.

Zd30 navaras never came with a factory fitted intercooler. The yd25 ones are similar in design to the zd30 patrol ones though...

I probably should have clarifyed that when I referred to "mine" was actually my late patrol that blew up. (Lame)

Yes I did know that zd30 navs had no intercooler, but I forgot. Lol.

I am taking a 2010 d22 for a test drive early next week. Am hoping it impresses.

Jono

I am taking a 2010 d22 for a test drive early next week. Am hoping it impresses.
Don't expect a revelation in performance, they are pretty similar, ZD30 has more torque but the YD25 takes off better, I have been told a chip it chip + exhaust turns the YD25 into a rocketship though by comparison.

Latest posts

Back