Boost setting ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cometbreeze

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got a '09 D22 and I've done the following engine mods for some extra performance for sand driving and towing the camper.

Steinbauer Chip
EGR blank
3" Exhaust
Snorkel

Now today I've fitted after doing some reading a Boost Gauge and Turbosmart Boost T controller and wound it up till I reached approx 19-20 psi.
It does spool up a little earlier and stronger and I am happy so far but was wondering if now I should at some stage get it all re Dynoed, and checked ? I might be able to wind up the chip a little more now I have a boost controller ?

Thoughts ?
TIA

Lenny

Id upgrade the IC first then get it tuned again. The stock coolers are only good for 20 psi

Speaking from experience a stock turbo is quite happy to have their boost upped...but they dont last very long that way..not saying dont do it.just put some dollars away for when it finally goes.

Last edited:
Those exhaust manifolds like to crack between cylinders 2&3.

I replace probably 3 a month. Some with as little as 30K on the clock.

I always up the boost to about 18psi once Ive done the replacement to help lengthen the lifespan of the next manifold. The exhaust manifold backpressure becomes to high past this point though.

Done 50k since my upgrade running 19psi no issues or high egt's ,on the 4th dyno run the I/cooler was struggling and I was losing h/p at 21psi now back to 19 no problems and no black smoke.

Ok so it sounds like 19 psi is the go and also sounds like it's a safer area for exhaust pressures too. I'm yet to get a EGT gauge as I have the Elm327 WiFi connector and App Dash Command but all it's giving me is Torque and Kw, Tachometer and few other things but wasted my money there but may hook it in and check for codes ? Does anyone use this for EGT's ? I can't seem make much use of it, was gunna use it as a boost gauge to set Turbo controller but was just showing 14.75 psi all the time even at idle

A mechanic friend told me that 14.75 is atmospheric so that's why I thought the Dash Commander was not going to be any use so went and got a gauge

Yep torque/dashcommand need the atmosperic pressure set correctly then it will be good to go..beware once you have the boost controller setup the boost reading via obd will be inaccurate.just get a boost gauge and plumb it in before the turbosmart.
Re egt sensors.they dont have one..auberins instruments do a good digital one..get it from the us at a good price.

Yeh like I said I ended up going and getting a SaaS gauge and have fitted that and set the Boost to 19psi.
Not overly concerned about EGT's as what already the Steinbauer installers said that a gauge isn't needed as they are pretty good for EGT temps anyway, and by increasing boost lowers your EGT's ? Is this true ? Might still get one anyway too keep an eye on them while towing the sand anchor 😃

Latest posts

Back