Brakes come on when in hard lock

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, bought my Navara 3 weeks ago, 2007 DC 2.5, have noticed today that when I put the wheels in full lock, the breaks come on and prevent the vehicle moving. Anyone know what this could be?

i assume you have a D40 ??

are you driving in 4x4?
it sounds like your in 4wd and you got driveline wind up.

^ Ditto. Even if the clock spring in the steering shorted out, it can't apply the brakes in the 2007 D40 - the cruise control doesn't brake, the ABS won't do it either.

Two places to check: first, the dial in the lower section of the dash centre below the air conditioning make sure the dial points to "2WD". Second, in the dash, look at the symbol of the car. Only the rear wheels (bottom of the icon) should be black.

There could be a problem with the servo in the transfer case, or the sensors.

If the car is stuck in 4WD, extended periods on firm ground can cause the transfer chain to stretch.

Hi and thank you for your answers - it appears I am completely thick and yes it was in 4wd. Thanks for your help and hopefully next time I will be more experienced in driving this type of vehicle.

Back