Broken diff side flange!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate

Reaction score
Well after thinking id done the CV in my 2012 d22 and buying a new one for $250, i got the bash plates off and CV out and realised its the diff side flange and the CV is fine, tried getting the flange out but the disc end has sheared off separate from the shaft and cant get the shaft out as it has split down the middle.
I cant find a side flange aftermarket anywhere and nissan first
quoted me $272 for the flange but when i got there to see if they would cover it under warranty they said they sent in pics to the warranty dept but they want to see more pics of it when its all taken apart.
So if warranty falls through they quoted me $833.10 for all parts, $450 for labor and $60 for oils so basically $1350 if they dont cover for warranty.
I then said the guy there quoted me $272 for a part they now said was $594,
They said ok well honor that price they quoted and scribbled it out and wrote 294.90 for the flange which is what i guess it is after gst.
Then they called me back after i left and said sorry he made a mistake and he quoted me the wrong part and it was actually $594!!! i tried to argue but just got sick of it in the end.
Anyway now im wondering what i should do... chase up an old r180a diff from a wrecker or a r200, or buy the flange and drop the diff and see if i can get it out myself...... im confused any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 112
If you could fit the R200 in you'd not have many problems with it later, especially if you can get a locker into it. You'd have to be very careful about matching the diff ratios no matter which way you go. I'd probably look to a new diff, because the housing on yours probably went through some strain handling that and it might be next.

There have been a few people with diff/axle failures and Nissan generally try to refuse handling it under warranty, usually because they claim (and often rightly) that the car was being thrashed when it happened. Wheel comes up, driver slams throttle to the floor, wheel comes down and bites = broken bits. Nissan is aware of the cause and will pull that card out of the deck first (as you'd expect).

It's avoided entirely if you have a locker, don't use lots of throttle or, in the case of Great Wall utes, leave them in the showroom.

thanks tony i will be looking at doing a r200 diff swap in the future or even SAS, but in the meantime i have a roadtrip planned in the not too distant future and i work FIFO so i wont have a lot of time to do that between now and then.
I told nissan it happened driving on a gravel road, whether they beieve me or not is a different story but i guess it would be my word against theirs.

have a spare r180 short side flange if you would like to purchase. located wollongong

Latest posts

Back