Broken pcv outlet

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carchania

Reaction score
Hey all

Today popped the bonnet and notice a little bit of oil seepage from the area where the hose connects to the pcv outlet. When I went to undo the hose the outlet came off with it and now I am stuck as to what to do to fix it. Has anyone had to repair similar problems before? I was thinking maybe a tap with an outlet to reconnect the hose to. The thing seems to be made of plastic so is pretty flimsy

Any suggestions appreciated

Cheers
Leayton

Plastic that's been covered in oil isn't easy to glue. I wonder if that part is available as a replacement from Nissan? It might be repairable by plastic welding too, I'm not sure what kind of plastic it is. Yours is the first I've heard of that's broken.

Yeah mate its a bit suck. I wonder why the rocker cover is plastic anyway? I have near 170000 on it, maybe it was just vibration. Anyway, its actually broken through the four support struts that are part of it and was held on by just the top part from the looks of it. Having said that, with a plastic rocker cover, is it ok to take it off to look at it better, or will it require a new gasket and stuff when reinstalling?

Cheers

Leayton

Starting at p200 of EM.PDF in the D40 manual, the rocker cover removal isn't as simple as it used to be. The manual describes removing the injection tubes.

A new gasket is recommended, along with some liquid gasket at the rear corners. That doesn't mean it's necessary - if you take care, and add some gasket cement (like Permatex Ultra Blue) it should serve you well. Take care to put the nozzle oil seals back in properly - there have been instances where this wasn't done well and it's quite dangerous.

If you are removing it, a thorough clean with kero to start with, then metho to finish should see the surface cleaned enough to take glue, but what I'd do is drill holes all around the break, and make up a mould around it for a resin/carbon fibre mix - I usually use West Systems No 5 because it has a long working time and is very liquid, allowing it to fill without leaving any bubbles. I usually shred carbon fibres about 2-3cm long and randomly push it into the resin, to add strength.

Ok got a price for replacement 125 plus postage. Question is is the alloy from the 05 06 model interchangeable with the plastic as if rather have a metal cover than a plastic one

Cheers

Leayton

Interesting. That was what the wrecker told me and I found them on the uk eBay they were the euro 3 rated engine apparently. Anyway light shed is appreciated

Cheers

Leayton

G'day

Did my rocker cover replacement on Tuesday. The alloy one fit fine. Did however have less bolts for the alloy than for the plastic one. Also the bolts for the plastic one had basically depth gauges on them that stopped U from doing them too tight, this inhibited me from doing the alloy cover up tight enough so a washer and spring washer underneath the head of each bolt provided enough spacing without doing the cover up too tight.

After 500 odd kays all is going well so am very pleased.

Cheers

Leayton

Latest posts

Back