Calling all Chainsaw Experts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a chainsaw.

I'm looking at Stihl, Husqvarna and McCullough.

All around the 14" - 16" bar size, all have around 40cc motors, all petrol driven.

Cheapest is the McCullough $229, dearest the Sthil, $299. Will be used camping and cutting firewood.

Thanks for any help.

We bought the stihl . could be the same model cost the same. not too happy with it , took it back and told the agent the clutch plate is slipping . This model doesn't have a clutch kit. so can't be adjusted , you have to take it very easy when cutting. The last stihl we had (farm boss) was awesome and had the clutch changed it that once in 16 years.

WE HAVE THE McCULLOUGH CAN'T FAULT IT,HAD IT FOR 3-4YRS NOW AND USE IT FOR CAMPING AND FIREWOOD.

Husky over here. Great little unit cant fault it. Im no expert but maybe just go with whichever one is best value, taking into consideration warranty and customer service of the shop that is selling them.

Also, see if you can cut a good price with them if you grab a case, spare chain, bar oil and fuel oil all in one hit.

I have the little 235e husky. Bought it as a camping saw, but use it for firewood dutys as well. Great little saw and revs well, nice and light, notice how light when I pick up my 365 and compare the two

I got four of different makes as said the Stihl is not as good i went through 2 oiler pumps on the basic model Husky is a good honest saw a spare chain is a must and learn how to sharpen your own i normally put the edge back on the chain every 10 mins of cutting hardwood.

Our huskies at work are hard to start fickle little bastards. My Mac just goes and goes and goes.

I've had Homelite, Dolmar and now Stihl. When my Stihl dies I'll be visiting the Husky shop. I don't want cheap, and I don't want unreliable.

I'm not saying my Stihl is any trouble at all, but I'm wanting a larger saw.

I'd suggest the brand doesn't matter. Where you buy it from and how you look after it is more important. I've got a husky 371hp for the heavy stuff and an ebay $80 cheapie for the light stuff.

I have had a McCullough, a stihl(blew up) and a husky. Husky has been great. Recently bought an aldi electric one for pruning. Cuts well and does enough for a couple of days camping plus very quiet and light. Decent chain sharpener is a must.

Gee, I'm surprised, the Sthil is getting bad press, I always thought they were good.

Great help people, thanks very much. The McCullough is $20 cheaper than the Husky, nothing really, but the Husky is 45 mins drive away, the McCullough only 3.

I have 2. A GMC with the trigger over the top for pruning. One handed action. The other a Talon with the trigger behind for logs, trees, fire wood.
Both from bunnings because they see very little work. Green timber
They're not great but I can fix sh1t n they cost 129 or less.
My mate laughed at me but he's got good stuff he never uses like me but paid heaps.
Never even had a use for a spare chain.
Google sharpening and get a file is all you'll need.
If you truly believe you'll use it heaps and on seasoned HARD wood ( better to cut green n season it ) buy the husky and a spare chain.
Mr ranger doesn't like you taking it in the forest. Fines apply in some national parks.
Think about the trigger over the top you think you may want to prune one handed.
Grunt for big stuff but technique ( there are course's ) will save your machine from the repairs.

Last edited:
My old stihl was great, but it was time for its retirement, hence the 365 husky and a 235e for camping. We've had newer stihl saws at work and after having a dud of a thing 038 magnum a stihl but made in Brazil, I bought my huskys, but it's all personal opinion

I've brought a Stihl MS170 for camping/firewood etc. It is only a little saw but good for what I need it to do. only $299 at the moment and you get a free esky.

I'm in the market for a chainsaw.

I'm looking at Stihl, Husqvarna and McCullough.

All around the 14" - 16" bar size, all have around 40cc motors, all petrol driven.

Cheapest is the McCullough $229, dearest the Sthil, $299. Will be used camping and cutting firewood.

Thanks for any help.

working in the hire industry for many years, the best saw I came across was the Husqvarna. the reason was the ease of servicing and the build quality they seriously outperformed the stihl. in saying that for this size chainsaw the stihl would be as good. but im a serious husky fan. kev

I reckon Husky it is.

I can get a Mac from the local hardware, but I don't know where to go if it breaks down. I go past a Husky shop once a week, so I could drop in there to buy one and get it fixed, so maybe that's my answer.

The Husky is on special for $249, if they still have any.

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back