Camper Trailers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunning1987

Reaction score
After looking at so many camper trailers today, at the 4x4 show in Brisbane. Price's ranging for $3500-$60,000, I'm curious on who's using what brand and what they rate them.

As my wife, child and I are looking to do a trip with one next year to the Cape, What would i need just a basic solid axle or will i need larger independent wheels?

load any pics of what you have and how its been layed out would be good.

Cheers
Mitch

got a very kitted out market direct, seems to have done the job just fine. its an offroad model but wouldnt take it to extreme. I bought it to take the family away to camp grounds national parks etc. I would say it would be fine to take to the cape as long as you excercise caution. I would say that it would not be suitable for the cape on a regular basis. Mine is up for sale as I pick up my new Coromal F400 on friday.

We have a Redback Explorer off road. Had been looking for a while at various CTs and found this one sitting in the back of a caravan place. at $6K5, it was excellent value. Plus it allows The Boss to do stuff like Cape York, etc..

http://www.redbackcampers.com.au

What you need really depends on you and your driving and travelling methods, plus how much money you can afford to have tied up in the CT.

There are a few threads that will answer many of your questions.

Im using a Trak Shak, brought it second hand before christmas, its awesome, couldnt be happier. They are a bit expensive, but so easy to setup and are well built.

what made you both choose those setups?

We got ours from Luke at Drifta kitchens in Gloucester NSW, He is/was an agent for trackabout, And we chose the kitchen the wife wanted and the extra storage drawers to suit, I had read up on trackabout and liked the build strength and quality,

Pretty sure Johnnos went bust, they must have been taken over by someone else.

Johno's too? Damn...

The middle of the camper trailer market (by which I mean solid aussie built 'affordable' soft floor camper trailers) must be doing it pretty hard at the moment.

There seem to be plenty of cheap imports around and the high end hard floor campers seem to be doing ok as well.

Me? I just want a solid aussie built camper trailer with off road running gear and a basic tent with aussie canvas at a reasonable price (maybe I need to re think what 'reasonable' means if the companies who make these sorts of trailers are going bust).

We have a BUSHBOY camper. Vert different to the norm. As it is a rear fold camper.
Worth a look if you are up on the sunshine coast. Designed and sold thru camping country at Maroichydore.
Have had ours for 2-3 years with plenty of trips.

We looked at cheaper trailers in the beginning of our search and secondhand trailers as well, the cheap trailers with chinese canvas tents that we saw were crap the stitching was coming undone before they left the shop, I had read a few articles on how strong trackabouts are and that they hire them out to travel to the cape, So the wife agreed it was better to let me buy the trailer i wanted strength wise, and get it fitted out like she wanted, What a shame to see a aussie company go this way,

what made you both choose those setups?

Well johnno's campers are built local to me, they are a pretty solid built unit and the canvas is all stichted here locally as well (Maryborough QLD). For me the 9 foot tent is a winner, 12 foot are just to big to fit on alot of camp sites and OMG there is alot of pole in some of the bigger tents, you dont want to spend half a day setting up when there is offroading to be done! also it is a fast set up tent! but all round they suit our needs.

Pretty sure Johnnos went bust, they must have been taken over by someone else.

Im pretty sure neither of these have happend and i know this for a fact. Buuuut they do have dealers all over the country and its possible one of them pulled the pin.

bryan

The best way is to make a list of wants, with the "must haves" and the "would like to have". This will eliminate a few. It also depends on how you are going to use it. Will you be staying one night and moving on, or staying put in one place.

Going to the cape will require a tough camper trailer. I believe independent suspension is better.

Budget also is a factor.

I have an Aussie Swag, and I have taken it off road, including through the Victorian High country. It has been a great camper, and suits our lifestyle perfectly, but may not be right for everyone (which is why there are so many styles available).

Check out www.campertrailers.org for more information.

Cheers,
Greg

i just picked up yesterday my first camper trailer i got a blue tuongue, only got the basic package as price was a big thing due to the amount of use it will get we are luckey to get away for more than 3 days at a time and thats only about 4 times a year, maybe this christmas would like to go on a trip for a couple weeks, any how the 18 ft tent seems a little daunting it took me about an hour to set in driveway first time but only 10 minutes to pack up im sure ill work out short cuts to setting up and for 3500 just because its not aussie canvas ill keep the other 12000 in the bank, it would probably be different if i were planing a 3 month trip but i cant see that for at least another 5 years

We brought a blue tongue semi off road deluxe about 8 months ago and absolutely love it. Great quality, size and features. Very well priced. We have spent about 4 weeks in ours in that 8 months and been through some pretty big storms and not a drop inside. Highly recommended if your on a bit of a budget.

Back