Can i get defected in Another state

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TitaniumNav

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just a question regarding yellow stickers and defects.
I plan on driving my Nav to VIC from WA and wanting to know if they have power to defect my car?

If so how do i go about clearing it or must i take my car out of state back home to clear?

probably a simple answer to this and have done my research but cant seem to find anything reliable. any info would be great.

Cheers

As far as I'm aware they can. That's why the states all need to get their act together to get a standard set of modification laws... I'd say if it gets defected there you'd have to get it cleared in that state

Hey mate they can only defect it if it is defectable....
Get it up to scratch and stop worrying.

As said above what's ok over here might be frowned apon there. W.A is prolly the strictest on mods so if you haven't been yellowed here I wouldn't worry. Cops see your out of state and usually leave ya be. Unless your being a idiot or moving there lol

cheers guys yeh the only reason i ask is because i have a 5in Calmini lift in the nav, bought the car like it nearly 2 years ago and havent been stickered here in WA, i assume 5inchs isnt legal here in WA either? Would be a major pain in the ass if i was to get defected in Vic on holidays, would an engineers cert/lane test clear me of getting defected provided it passed? does anyone know of anyone with a similar lift and if it needs or even passes the tests required for it to be deemed legal?

cheers guys yeh the only reason i ask is because i have a 5in Calmini lift in the nav, bought the car like it nearly 2 years ago and havent been stickered here in WA, i assume 5inchs isnt legal here in WA either? Would be a major pain in the ass if i was to get defected in Vic on holidays, would an engineers cert/lane test clear me of getting defected provided it passed? does anyone know of anyone with a similar lift and if it needs or even passes the tests required for it to be deemed legal?

There are copies of the standards for each vehicle available from the transport department or authority in each state. These will tell you what modification you can make to a vehicle without certification. If you go outside these guidelines you will need an engineers certificate. With suspension going up, is less of an issue than going down. But there are limits to both. Getting stickered for a defect is the least of your worries. Insurance companies LOVE illegal mods, because they are a great way of not paying out on claims. Illegal mod usually = no insurance and that can include 3rd party. I would get it checked for compliance and if necessary engineered.
Is it okay to sell cars in WA without a roadworthy certificate? In NSW and Qld you have to have a current RW to even display or advertise the car for sale.
Hope that helps. On and Vic Traffic Cops have a reputation for being tough, apparently well deserved.

As far as I'm aware, they can't defect you for something that is legal in your registered state. But if you move and try to transfer rego you need to make it legal in the new state.

Latest posts

Back