Can I weld plates on a d22 chassis

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In actual fact Dave does have a point.

When you apply heat to the chassis expansion occurs, however, and any boilermaker and/or welder will agree, as the chassis cools down it shrinks further than it has expanded which is the cause of distortion in metal. (metalurgy 101).

I myself would not just break out the welder and start welding bits onto my chassis with out first developing a procedure to eliminate the risk distorting the rails, which may contribute to a misalligned chassis.

If you weld a plate on one side of the chassis rail that side will bow inwards, and depending on how much heat input is in your weld : Q=(IxE)/V x.06 coupled with the determined preheating of the chassis related to the Carbon Equivalance of the parent metal, will dictate the amount of distortion and probability of weld and/or parent metal failure.

can someone tell me HOW are the chassis rails put together, and how are lots of brackets put on the chassis rails and so on???

yes, using a jig, but how?

on another note,
are the factory worker welders (apart from the machines...not all welding is automated) professionals or just cheap labour.

How many chassis are bending and falling aprt every day, apart from airbagged D40'S????...none on here.

back to 'after the fact' welding,
Get your welding done by a "ticketed welder" and bob's ya aunty.

scottybobcat said:
Yes you can but you need to heat the chassis first with an oxy so as you just get some blueing of the steel then weld the brackets so that the 2 pieces of steel cool at the same rate to avoid metal fatigue or the integrity in the strength of the steel. D22 sliders we use the clamp on type slider. The D40's we weld on because of the issue with brake and fuel lines.

Scotty is 100% right, you have too heat the chassy, 2 reasons.
1. it helps the weld take better as the steel is already at a high temp and the two metals will blend easier.
2. So the the two metals cool at the same rate to stop distortion and stress which will cause cracks.

This is done all the time too the trucks at work and when your carrying 150 tone off dirt and coal you don't want your chassy to crack.

Latest posts

Back