Can my head be fixed ??????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A little bit broke off one corner. It holds an exhaust stud so it needs to be there. Its off a TD27 and made of steel...

Can it be fixed easily and relatively cheaply ?????

Attachments

• IMG_4788.jpg
    IMG_4788.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4789.jpg
    IMG_4789.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4790.jpg
    IMG_4790.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4791.jpg
    IMG_4791.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4792.jpg
    IMG_4792.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 60
Wow, you're having shit luck.

It's cast iron, it can't be welded (cheaply/effectively). Have a look and decide if you can get a deeper hole drilled and tapped and a longer stud fitted.

and made of steel...

Made of cast iron....

have you got the bit that broke off?
It can be oxy brazed back on, or alternatively a new stud could be placed in the remaining thread as a guide and then the stud oxy brazed in.

$$$$how much....??? dunno, does'nt cost me .

NOT for the novice backyarder though.

I was very pissed off this morning when i discovered the head was damaged. The prick who sold me the ute supplied that motor saying it would bolt straight in & never told me it was broken.

I was very pissed off this morning when i discovered the head was damaged. The prick who sold me the ute supplied that motor saying it would bolt straight in & never told me it was broken.

mate i would be going back to the wank with a 12gauge

Made of cast iron....

have you got the bit that broke off?
It can be oxy brazed back on, or alternatively a new stud could be placed in the remaining thread as a guide and then the stud oxy brazed in.

$$$$how much....??? dunno, does'nt cost me .

NOT for the novice backyarder though.

Dont have the bit that broke off, but the alternative gives me hope. Do you think it could be done without effecting the integrity of the face of the head, so as not to require machining ??

That is totally f##cked, did you piss off a witch doctor or what?

Can't you take the rocker assembly out of that head, and put it in yours, thus making one good head?

The rocker assy appears to be in perfect condition, so yes it can be used on my existing head. So I am still well in front !!!!

Still need to sort damaged valves!! Would have been great just to swap heads, but that aint happening unless I can fix the stud issue.....

It would take a decent amount of skill to weld it up. Any welding-level heat in that area is going to affect the metal, and machining may be called for.

That being said, it's holding on the exhaust - not the cylinder head to the block - so we're not talking about a huge pressure, just a high temperature.

I would NOT contemplate those magic "metal putty" solutions. It's either a weld, or you clamp the thing from one side of the head to the other - make a steel brace that holds this point of the exhaust that wraps around the entire head. This is dependent on what else is around that part of the head - you may not be able to do this.

If it was like that when you got it, then I'd have no doubt the guy who sold it to you knew about it (might have been why he was offloading it). Whether or not you give him grief over it is your call - if it is a business, then absolutely take them to task.

If you could weld it you'd solve it fast - this mob sells electrodes for an arc welder, there are plenty of resources that explain how and even some videos on it.

Good luck with it!

I was well aware of the issue when I got it Tony. Just the rocker assy from this head has saved me plenty already.

If it could "simply" be fixed it would save me the exspense, and down time while re-building my exsisting head, on top of which would go the rocker assy from the head we are discussing.

I did not think it could be fixed, but as Krankin so correctly put it, Im a "Novice Back Yarder". So i just put it out there to see if there were options I was not aware of, as some of the members are actuall tradesmen, and I hope they have a little more knowledge than I...

Bite the bullet and buy a reco head so you don't have the dramas again.No point in welding it as it is holding the exhaust and it does move so it will just crack again and give you an exhaust leak then the head has to come off again.Trying to save money will only cost you more in the long run.

I have the urge to give it a go, buy some rods and weld a stud in the hole. Made some enquiries today regarding availability of such rods and yes they are available... I have a stick welder and can use it reasonably well. I have been told preperation is the key to success... If I am capable of a reasonable weld it will be as strong as new....

Dont have the bit that broke off, but the alternative gives me hope. Do you think it could be done without effecting the integrity of the face of the head, so as not to require machining ??

Considering the area needing weld,
Get it done by TIG and it shouldnt need machining,
Oxy braze it , it MAY need machining,

again, the above two methods are'nt for the novice, they need controlled conditions and skill.

thirdly, PLEASE dont go near it with the arc welder.

:cheers!:

Trying to save money will only cost you more in the long run.

Its not just the money. I currently have a head that 2 "Head experts" tell me is cactus. What Im really after is that feeling you get when youve been wheelin all morning, and over lunch people ask is that the one with the welded head, and you say sure is, Krankin reckoned I could never do it, but 2 years later here we are still wheelin strong. You know, that feeling, like Josh and his "built not bought" Nav.

Which is the exact opposite to the feeling you get when your stranded the other side of bum fu#$ no where with the misses and kids yellong and crying and shit while the broken manifold lays smoking on the ground and krankin pulls up and and says to your wife "i told him not to do it".. You get the picture im sure..

MMMMMMMMMMMM Dunno now

Latest posts

Back