Canning stock route video

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We took 21 days Halls Creek to Wiluna. There are a couple of different entrance points from the south, depending on if you are towing a camper trailer. If you are towing a trailer, then Glen Ayle station to Well 5 is the access. If not, then all the wells are accessible through Cunyu station, from Wiluna.

most of the vehicle shots I got using a plastic spring clamp with a hole drilled in the handle.
The Go-pro has an adaptor to take a standard 1/4 inch camera mount bolt.

Mate that was awesome- we are on for july 2013. i have a 125lt long ranger tank. Going Wiluna to halls creek. how many extra 20 lt jerry cans should I carry on top of the tank from Wiluna to Kunawaraji? 5 = 100lts + the 125lts in the tank= 225lts on board.

Thanks in advance

wesso

damn, great video - loved the still capture pan shots... very effective.
Would love to see that area of the country.

The marine fuel tank we had in the tray carried 120l,

http://www.seamarineandauto.com/item.mibiznez?id=127

as well as a 20l flexible jerry can, plus the standard tank so we had 210 litres on board. From Halls creek to Kunawarritji we used 100l, Topped up there and then from there to Wiluna we used 140l. So 5 jerries should be OK. We had a good run early in the season before the dunes got too chopped up, with no rain delays and low tyre pressures to make the dunes easy. Nothing burns through fuel quicker than multiple attempts at dunes. Have a good trip!

is it a hard track, what is the whole length and could you do it solo?? cheers

Petez, it's 1800km long.

Australian Geographic has a good zoom-able map and a story (linked as the "related article") which can be found if you click here.

If 240L was all that was used, that gives an average consumption for the trip of 13.3LPHK which is remarkable. With our D40's main fuel storage of 150L and 4 jerry cans (which is how we usually travel) we've got about 1600km range (assuming 14LPHK) so I'd need to put 2 more jerry cans on (270L total) and hope we don't hit any snags.

We might be far better off with one of those marine tanks and our normal tank (290L total) with say just one jerry can in case of emergency/disaster. 310L of diesel is sure heavy but that's a range of 2,200km @ 14LPHK (3,000km on sealed roads @ 10LPHK).

Rohayes, how many days did it take you to traverse the track?

I would allow at least 3weeks..... That's the time we took back in '89 and seems to be the average from what I read

Distance would depend on how many side trips you do as alot of the wells are well off the main track.... then there's the new sections (can't remember the name of hills/ranges) that have opened up since I was last there too......

rob

Last edited:
The marine fuel tank we had in the tray carried 120l,

http://www.seamarineandauto.com/item.mibiznez?id=127

Thank you for that. Looks to be just what we need to fit between the two boxes in the back. Current gear options include 5x20L jerrys, but that will will give the equivalent of six in the same space, but less volume.

Where is the "fuel pickup" Is that just a tap position in the bottom or a fitting on top? I'm trying to work out how you get fuel out of it.

We took 21 days from Halls Creek to Wiluna. The fuel consumption is good because we managed our tyre pressures. With 15psi pressure, the dunes are easy, and the corrugations more bearable. Dunes were approached in 1st gear high range, stopping at the base of each, with very little low range work.
We did not have to back down dunes for 3 or 4 goes, because the tyres were at the right pressure.
Nothing affects fuel consumption more than several attempts at each dune.
Remember there is reliable fuel at Kunawarritji, but it is expensive.
240 L usage was from Billiluna to Wiluna, distance from Billiluna to the CSR turn-off at the Wiluna end was 1968km on the odometer.
We calculated fuel usage of around 20 L per hundred, and carried a total of 420 L, (210 L times 2) after topping up with 104 L at Kunawarritji.
Better to over estimate your fuel than underestimate it. We also travelled very light, basically if it did not fit in the tray it did not come (apart from spare tyre casing on roof rack) and did not tow a camper trailer. We also travelled early in the season and had no rain delays and good conditions.

The marine tank we used could be plumbed into your fuel line. We decided to use a 12 volt fuel pump and fuel hose with the pump wired so I could plug it into the cigarette lighter socket to pump the fuel when we needed it. It's not likely we will ever carry this much fuel again, so wanted a temporary solution.
Using the 12 volt pump, it took about 30 minutes to pump 60 litres into the tank. When finished, we wrapped the fuel lines and pump into a bag ready to use next time. We did this 4 times in total, and it worked perfectly.

Latest posts

Back