Canopies, dogs and exhaust fumes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazz

Reaction score
This might sound a bit weird but anyway...

I recently read an article about some people cruising around up in QLD in a boat. The boat was an open type hull but had those PVC shutters along the sides to keep the rain out. They were cruising ata low speed when some passengers became very ill and passed out.
Turns out the exhaust gas was recirculating into the boat, no odour, resulting in the passengers being affected, one actually fell out of the boat.

It got me thinking...
As we all know, dogs like the windows open. Does anyone know if theres much risk of a similar thing happening to dogs (or people I guess) when traveling in a ute with a canopy???
I have D40 with a factory canopy. I was looking at it wondering if having certain windows open could result in enough negative pressure to suck fumes into the cargo area.

I know it sounds unlikely, but I would have thought the above story about the boat incident was unlikely also, untill it happened.

Boats are a bit different to utes and cars in my experience. My first trip on a game boat I had the same issue that you bring up, because the exhaust was able to circle back from behind the boat it did enter the deck area and into the lower cabin but I've been on that boat again a few times and heaps of other boats and it's never happened again, so conditions as well are the make up on the boat make a difference.

In the ute your exhaust when cut to the length it was designed to be should have minimal circulation backwards that's why the make the tail pipe length what it is. Under ideal conditions if your back window was open you might get some circulation but side windows would be unlikely because the tailpipe should come out behind where the airflow on of window is. Of course if you had an exhaust leak somewhere back towards the engine it is entirely likely that fumes could rise between the cabin and canopy and enter through the front windows but with the air gaps in the back of the tub any fumes entering at the front would be quickly sucked out the rear. In most cases with the tailgate window shut an no black exhaust marks on the panel work or rear bar I'd suggest your danger in minimal.

+1 for the exhaust info, but you know, a LOT of dust gets sucked in through that tailgate.

If I was putting anything living into the tub, I'd seriously consider a roof vent that added positive pressure to the tub. Added bonus = less dust in the tub. It'd look ugly, but dead animals don't look good either.

Forward facing vents are the go. Positive pressure means that there is no way of having exhaust fumes in the canopy. FWIW we have an ARB canopy fitted with sliding windows and fly screens to keep their noses in and a roof vent. Constant flow through and no dust. If it rains though you do get a bit coming through the rooftop vent when driving and it is open. Doesn't worry our two swamp donkey's though.

Back