Canopy = better fuel economy???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perhaps Prov-Nav is built like Arnie and can carry his canopy and two tanks at the same time X-)

On the lighter canopies, what is the load restriction? I'd hope on the heavier ones that it could possibly take heavier loads like a roof top camper to justify the heavier construction etc. Does anyone have a roof top camper that they use on their canopy? Pics would be great

Yes it's an avenger and I haven't measure it but its close to 5cm. It's really got nothing to do with security in the big scheme of things, yes I do have some degree of assurance that some dick with a rock wont get through both pieces in one hit but it's got more to do with the fact that the glass is the door and all the weight and swinging is on the glass alone and not a frame or an ali surround holding the glass. It's two pieces of tempered glass with better than 20% tint on them and and the hinges, locks and handles mount directly on or through the glass. The darkness of the windows is more security than the glass itself but it's still some kind of assurance even if it's just a little bit.

As far as loads on top go if you check out all the companies websites you'll find they all quote nearly exactly the same figures. The steel canopies claim to be the strongest and claim that the car can be lifted by the canopy which even under controlled conditions isn't a bad claim but for all their claims the extra weight they can carry over a fiberglass one is all of about 10kgs. I'm yet to see a canopy maker quote figures of more than 100kgs on the racks they provide with the canopies and the least is about 90kgs with a fiberglass one.

As for moving to NSW been there done would never do it again. I'm not in fear of everything getting knocked off out of my ute but just like everyone who has an alarm, uses it and just like everyone who has working locks uses them why wouldn't I do everything possible to protect clients equipment, sure it's all insured but who needs the hassle of insurance claims. The canopy wasn't brought for it's security the canopy was bought because having used so many other brands previously I considered them all shit and not worth paying for. Everyone's choices and selections are different and the added security (or even presumed security if you like) was just a bonus, as well as the bonus of not getting something I knew I wouldn't be happy with

I think a lot of the manufacturers now include a steel/aluminium frame which is moulded into the fibreglass. That way you don't need bars to the tub floor to support the roof racks.

I'm looking at a roof height canopy, with lift up side windows, roof bars or full roof rack. At this stage, I am really liking the ARB gloss finish canopy with the steel canopy roof rack. So then I can use the rack for ladders/conduit and also camping gear when the time arises.

As for the aerodynamics, I would have thought any gains would be lost in the added weight. Just thought I would throw the question out there for interest's sake. those really sleek looking sports canopies would probably be the best to get any aerodynamics gains, they are pretty smooth bits of gear.

As Mythbusters has already been mentioned I'll add this (tongue in cheek)
They also proved in a recent episode (golf ball car panels )that, once up to speed, weight (or mass) has absolutely NO effect (that's NONE AT ALL) on fuel efficiency whereas aero plays a huge roll. Mass only plays a roll while accelerating or climbing an incline. Therefore, if a canopy does have a good effect on the overall aero of a truck (and that's a big if, hence the tongue in cheek) on a long trip a canopy may well pay dividends,and visa verse for stop start traffic

Latest posts

Back