Can't find the buzzing and clunking

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradm84

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know there is a heap of threads about noises and rattles in d22's (none of the threads described noises quite the same as mine) and it seems that noises come pre built into our trucks. But I've got a couple noises (2009 2.5 d22) that I was hoping someone may have had before and could point me in the right direction.

First one is the most annoying. From exactly 2000rpm until around 3000rpm there is a buzzing type rattle somewhere around the glove box/airbag area. Sounds like two bits of plastic rubbing/rattling on each other and is quite loud. Started suddenly one day about 3 weeks after getting the car. It is driving us crazy and I can't find anything loose anywhere short of pulling apart the dash (if that's even where the noise is actually coming from).

Secondly is a less annoying noise and has done it since I have had the car. When going over bumps even small ones there is a dull clunk type rattle coming from somewhere on the exterior of the car. I first thought it was maybe the sports bar on the tub a bit loose and rattling or the spare wheel knocking underneath. Or it could even be something to do with suspension. But this noise is fairly dull, most people wouldn't notice it driving the car but I do. Once again I have checked a lot of things for tightness including the exhaust which doesn't seem to hit anything when I shake it.

Not sure if anyone can help, its hard to describe noises and rattles by writing it down.

Thanks heaps

Brad

Hi mate. The first one could even be coming from somewhere in the engine bay in that area of the airbag. Check for anything that could be loose or an aftermarket accessory that's not tied down.
The second noise can come from the spare as you said. Grab the wheel brace and jack bar and tighten the spare wheel winch up. Even tho it feels tight to the feel it could still be loose. I had the same problem once. Another thing it could be is a shackle bush worn or something.

Cheers.

Thanks mate, will have a further look around the firewall in the engine bay. And will tighten up that wheel.
The first noise I described seems to be getting a little louder, hopefully if its getting louder it'll make it easier to pinpoint.

Are you running a stock or aftermarket exhaust? Check the bolts on that also. It runs down that same area.

Just had an interesting thing happen with this noise that I have been looking for and so far couldn't find the source of the above mentioned buzzing noise.

I thought it sounded like two plastic panels in the vicinity of the passenger airbag in behind the glove box.
I had pulled the glove box out a few times looking for the source and checked everything in and around the firewall and could not find anything or get rid of the noise which has been getting louder and louder over the last month or two.

Here's where I have been baffled (if I wasn't already)... The 80,000km service was due, so I completed that and the Ute is now running a bit nicer. But the noise was still there.

Two days ago though I put a blanking plate in the EGR closest to the valve itself.
I now have almost no annoying buzzing noise? It's still there, but so slightly I have to really listen out for it to hear it.

My question is, how would would blocking the EGR stop this kind of noise and what might the noise have been? I can only think that it maybe was a noise related to the turbo. Maybe it was vibrating under load and hitting it's heat shield or something. And now that the EGR is blocked maybe it just took a slight bit of load of the turbo to reduce a vibration? I have noticed the turbo whistle is a bit more noticeable and the car is slightly smoother down low...

Maybe whatever was rubbing/vibrating/buzzing has just moved somehow and not rubbing any more and just a coincidence that it coincided with me blocking the EGR.

Anyone else got any ideas about this?

Either way I'm happy the noise is gone for now and the car is driving nice and smooth now since the service and EGR mod.

Also I did take note when doing the EGR if any bolts were loose in case there might have been a leak causing a noise but they all seemed pretty tight...

Could the egr pipe have a small crack in it somewhere? Blocking it off at the other end will have stopped the gas flowing so could have reduced the noise? Just a thought. I had a noise that was a little this but was more of a raspy whistle with a squawk and it turned out to be a failed exhaust manifold gasket (and warped manifold)

Could the egr pipe have a small crack in it somewhere? Blocking it off at the other end will have stopped the gas flowing so could have reduced the noise? Just a thought. I had a noise that was a little this but was more of a raspy whistle with a squawk and it turned out to be a failed exhaust manifold gasket (and warped manifold)

Hey mate, yeah I was thinking the same thing, I had a closer look at the egr pipe and don't see a crack anywhere, unless its a tiny hairline crack somewhere...

Latest posts

Back